Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about... "lights?"

Hello!

I recently acquired my first Studebaker, a '52 Land cruiser....
    In my restoration efforts, I am tearing it apart, cleaning and resoring and replacing and... well.. I am sure you get it by now....
    ok, so, when I got around to restoring the 2 ... (forgive my lack of technical term knowledge here) "thingies..." LOL that go on either front fender... the chrome ornamental "thingies...." ????? I noticed that each had a hole in the front of it, that looked like there should perhaps be a light or something located there.... In my research of the wiring diagrams I see no lights referenced there, and any pictures I find online do not show this particular spot up close and personal enough to tell what was going on there.... I am not sure what to think... anyone know what these "holes" in the "thingies" were actually meant for... they can't just be left open to the weather!!!!

Thanks for any replies, and I hope you find as much humor in reading this as I had in typing it!!!!!

Are you missing the plastic spears ?

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

They're 'fender spears', and had little plastic 'fins' in them, if I remember right.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

plastic spears????? there were plastic spears??? um... I would say a definate, maybe, possibly, yes!!!! no plastic spears... (these 2 "thingies" were actually in the trunk when I started to clean them up... and I only knew where they went from pics online and the obvious holes in the top of the fenders....) this Stude' is kinda a near salvage job, and most of my restoration knowledge is based in old VW's... (and 1 '63 Buick Special) But I eagerly look forward to stepping up in the world and someday driving this Studebaker with a smile.... so... Plastic Spears huh? I'd like to know more if anyone would care to share... can I get replacements somewhere? was there any "real" function to them or were they there just to... well... look like plastic spears? Again, please forgive my ignorance this is a HUGE learning adventure for me!!!! Thank for any replies!

Comment

I think they were spears, not fins, they might have been reproduced by someone.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes, Studebaker had plastic spears long before there was a Brittney.

60 Lark convertible
            61 Champ
            62 Daytona convertible
            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2)
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Now THAT is humor!!! Kudos to you! LOL !!!!

but really, I gather these "fender spears" had a plastic 'cone shaped item' in the ends of them... was there a point to this, or was it just an "oooohhh look... pretty plastic cones......." sorta thing? has anyone done something "different" with the 'holes' in the fender spears? I was thinking I could put in lights to serve as additional turn signals or something.... figure out my own wiring... (I saved this car from the junk yard after it became a "Rat Rod" and I have to replace most of the interior from scratch as well, so any "non standard" madifications, I am sure will be ok with 'her' as long as 'she' doesn't get another chain link steering wheel and fuzzy dice hanging from a visor!!!!!) so any ideas or suggetions as to what to do with these 'holes' or even pointers as to where I can find the original plastic pieces before I make a fool of myself at some car show..... would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Comment

Is this what you are talking about?

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

A tasteful turn signal conversion could be useful or you could just fill the holes in the fender and leave them off. I don't know if the fender spears were standard on the Land Cruisers or not, but they were optional on other 52 models. I like the 52s both ways, but without is a clean look.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

That is exactly what I am talking about... I see how it was just a clear little insert there....
                    Thanks for the close up shot!!! seems odd (from todays measure of odd of course...) that they would just fit a plastic peice in there with no function.... oh well....

and yes, there is a somewhat clean look to the car without them... but for some reason I really have always been into hood ornaments and such, and kinda like the idea of putting them back on.....

I think I might try to add some lights there, perhaps mounted to a swith... "really really dim fog lights anyone?" LOL

Thank you all for helping to clear up my confusion on these items!!! It is much appreciated!

Comment

You know what might work to put a little light on the subject? The fiber-optic unit out of a Cadillac in the mid '70's and early '80's might be made to work. These were used on the fender indicators facing the driver.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Truck stops and repair shops have all sorts of LEDs that would prolly fit and look cool. Maybe even a color to match the body color. (Oh my, I can't believe my all-stock fingers typed that!)

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I had a '52 Commander with those "front fender ornaments" and they were so pitted, that I took them off, and welded in the fender holes, it looked a lot cleaner. I agree with you, though, and think it's a little humorous that a person could order extra trim like that for their new car![] Times sure have changed...
                          By the way, Studebaker International used to offer reproductions of the plastic inserts.
                          Bruce

Comment

Both excellent suggestions!!! Thank you! I will let you know how things turn out!!!

and as for all-stock, I do hear you, my car projects in the past were just that, but this one has been so mistreated, I've pretty much determined that this is just going to be a "fun" car and as close as I can get to stock without breaking my back or the bank.... with aspects that will be there just to make it mine! it had seats from a toyota in it when I got it, and wheels from a ford.... so, well, there you go!! LOL my idea is to get it on the road and looking good first, then as the years go by we shall see how much closer to stock she can become!

Tomorrow I hit the scrap yard for a steering wheel that might fit and a few other odds and ends...

I am half way through replacing the wiring harness on my own... fabricating it as I went along... that has been interesting!!!!

Comment

Where are you located and you otta join the SDC great magazine. Welcome to the forum.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                              1957 Silverhawk
                              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                              Gus 1958 Transtar
                              1955 President State
                              Fresno,Ca
                              Mabel 1949 Champion
                              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                              Gus 1958 Transtar
                              The Prez 1955 President State
                              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe