Power steering issue Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering issue Avanti

I have a question about a power steering rebuild issue. Backstory: I am near the end of rebuiding the front end of my 63 Avanti after successfully avoiding it for ten years. Near the beginning of the rebuild I put new seals in the control valve and reassembled it. That was weeks ago. I did this on the car without removing the pittman arm but while it was a pain in most parts of my body, it was possible to do.

I hooked up the hoses as per the pictures in threads I found in this forum. I think. End result: With car still in the air I turned on the engine and the steering system (wheels, steering wheel) whipped continually back and forth stop to stop. Lucky I didn't have my arm through the steering wheel on the key. I obviously did something wrong, I just don't know what.

I rechecked the hoses on the control valve and they seem to be right according to the photos on Bob Johnstone's site. I'm not sure about the ram, but I thought I had it right, maybe not.

Does anyone know what condition would make this happen? The upside is that hydraulic system seems to be working. :-)

Mike

Michael Lawsky
    Atlanta, Georgia
    1963 Avanti

You didn't say any thing about the Avanti Service Manual or Avanti Parts Book ! They should provide the correct placement of the PS hoses and control vale seal(s.

Comment

You have the (2) hoses that run to the power cylinder (ram) backwards..
      DEFINATELY!
      Either switch them at the control valve or at the Ram...

Pretty scary isn't it? Trying to stop that wheel from whipping back and forth...??? (been there... TWICE!)

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Great- thanks, Studeman, for the quick reply! I'll go change that now. Yes, very scary.

Mike

Michael Lawsky
        Atlanta, Georgia
        1963 Avanti

Comment

For future refrence....If there's a question wheather the power ram hoses are in the correct position or not....simple safe test...disconnect coil wire, with pump full of fluid and belt installed, keeping hands clear of steering wheel[B)], spin motor over with starter, watch for movement of steering wheel. If the wheel starts to move, the hoses are crossed. As Ray says, swap the positions of the two hoses to the power ram. Re-test. Should not see any movement in the steering wheel. Also as Ray says,been there, done that.[}] Hope this helps.
          If you need any other help Mike, e-mail me from the profile.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

This thread might be helpful :

Avanti power steering system rebuild QUESTIONS

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks to all. All good advice. I swapped the hoses and it worked fine. The car is on the ground and out of the garage for the first time in weeks.

Mike

Michael Lawsky
              Atlanta, Georgia
              1963 Avanti

Comment

Working...
              X