No announcement yet.

Installation of used Paxton Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, didn't all the Carter AFBs used on R2 and R3s have vacuum/air valve actuated secondaries?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack, they may have. Maybe my best suggestiopn would be for anyone doing a "custom" install would be to call Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels for advice.

MikeV
      Pompano Beach, FL
      83 Avanti 377I

Comment

The AFB's are mechanical with a hard connection to the primaries via a spring but with a weighted air valve to control flow so you won't bog. A true vacuum secondary has only a linkge to snap them closed.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Mike, didn't all the Carter AFBs used on R2 and R3s have vacuum/air valve actuated secondaries?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

On my 63 Avanti R2 I change the supercharger oil every year.
          I have been using type F trans fluid,i was told i will take
          more heat.I dont know if its ever been rebuilt,it has a wire
          through some of the bolts & a lead seal.It seems to be working
          fine still 5lbs boost.

Lenny
          Atlanta Ga.

Comment

If it's what I think it is Lenny, that's the seal that came with mine. This is the tag and seal that Paxton put on the blowers at the factory. It was a cable with a tag leaded to two of the bolts with the Paxton symbol on the tag. The tag is attached in such a way that if the bolts are turned the cable or tag breaks loose, thus voiding the warranty from Paxton(or so the decal says, lol). Considering whom I sent the blower back to, to get it rebuilt, somehow that tag is more for aesthetics now than anything else. I also didn't get the tags back once it was rebuilt, so those were gone when the blower was back in its home position.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The Supercharger Service Manual that came with my Paxton SN2000 has this to say:

"The supercharger compressor fluid must be changed every 90 days of use, regardless of mileage, or every 3,000 miles (whichever comes first). You may have to change the fluid more often if your driving conditions warrant it."

They also, for street use, recommend either their own Paxta-Trac traction fluid, or Motorcraft Type "F" ATF (and Type "F" as first choice when air temps are below 40 degrees F.

MikeV
              Pompano Beach, FL
              83 Avanti 377I

Comment

Working...
              X