51 front bumper - deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 front bumper - deluxe

I have a 51 Land Cruiser with the deluxe front bumper with the additional upper bars and higher bumperettes. Between the bumperettes the bumper flattens out in cross section and becomes deeper from top to bottom. I have seen this in pictures of other bumpers of this type but I have also seen deluxe bumpers that appear to be consistent across the whole bumper. Is this how they were manufactured or is it the result of towing or jacking the bumper at some time?

Thanks.

Jim

"Ahh, a bear is his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
    Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Well, however it got that way, they didn't make 'em like that. While there IS two different front bumper part numbers listed for '51s (ALL models of '51s), one number is for Canadian-assembled 51 Studes and the other number's for USA-built 51 Studes.
    The difference must have been superficial, because they all used the same bumper mounting brackets.

I've got a couple of front 51 bumper here and they're not as you described.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Stude sometimes made it tough for us prove or disprove items like this. Just a guess, but I wonder if it has an earlier bumper installed?
      Would love to see a photo.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If it's neat and symmetrical, maybe for a license plate bracket?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I previously owned a 51 Champion Starlite Coupe and it had the regular bumper. It was pretty bent up but it definately wasn't like my LC bumper. The Champion was a Canadian built car. From what you're saying, it sounds like the LC bumper has been bent somehow. Maybe it was towed with a bumper-hitch sometime.

Dwain, I tried to post a couple of pictures but I can't get anything to happen. The instructions in the FAQ don't make any sense to me. Any hints?

Thanks.

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Here is a good photo of the front bumper. See the slightly flattened part between the bumperettes. It doesn't look bad but I don't know how easy it would be to get it back in shape if, indeed, it is bent.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

The 1950 Commander/Land Cruiser had a front bumper with an indentation in the center area, but this one looks to me like it's just plain flattened. If the car did hit something it had to be a perfect hit, because it's so symetrical. The overrider isn't damaged is it?

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMann

Jim Mann
                Victoria, B.C.
                Canada
                Jim - I think you need to make a slight edit to your tag line...

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                May 23-25, 2009?
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks, Mark, for the heads-up about the mistake in the tag-line. Even before I owned a Studebaker I loved that line from the Muppet Movie.

Dwain, the bumper is not so much pushed back between the bumperettes but the top and bottom edges seem to be pulled forward giving this area a cross-section with a shallower arc than that beyond the bumperettes. I'm not sure what you mean by the over-rider but if you are referring to the upper horizontal bar across the middle, it shows evidence of having been bent and repaired so perhaps this unusual bumper is simply the result of an attempt to repair damage from an impact. However, the apron, fenders, grill, hood etc. don't show any obvious signs of damage so it must have been a dead-on centre shot to the bumper.

Truth be told, I don't really like the deluxe bumpers on the bullet nose cars. I think they 'mask' the unique qualities of these models. My rear bumper is standard and the bumperettes are missing because I can see the change in the finish of the chrome where they used to be. Did all Land Cruisers come with these bumpers in 51? My PO doesn't list it as an accessory so I'm not sure if it came from the factory this way or done by the dealer, or perhaps the bumpers were changed later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.