od transmision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• od transmision

I am finally getting the 3 speed/overdrive transmission back in my '62 Hawk but I need a source for a new or good overdrive cable. I know I can soak it and get it to work but it would be faster to replace it while we put the trans back in. Any help would be thankful.

I've driven my 53 coupe without using the cable forever. You don't need the cable, just remember that when you park the car, put it in park (reverse)

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction) 343 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

I had a good used one. I'll check to see if it is still findable and let you know. Anyone remember for sure what color T-knob the '62 Hawk should have had? Parts get swapped around on Studes some much over the years, just because it came out of a '62 Hawk doesn't mean it started life there.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Jack; there was only one color for all models 1947 to 1966...chrome with O.D. stamped in it, the length is the difference.

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

I had a good used one. I'll check to see if it is still findable and let you know. Anyone remember for sure what color T-knob the '62 Hawk should have had?
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Like Tom says, unless you live in really hilly terrain, don't sweat it. Just make sure the little lever's all the way to the rear and you're good to go, while the PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench soaks in for a few weeks.[^] In the meantime - assuming all the wiring is right, and the components are good, the automatic overdrive should work just fine.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The overdrive was working fine like you said. I just thaught I would replace it since I was having the tranny rebuilt. The handle on my cable is chrome with the OD on it. I have missed a number of car shows since my car has been down. I have a show tomorow so I gues I will have to take my 1953 Sunbeam motorcycle since it is easier to load and unload. Thanks again.

Comment

Chey,If you get a chance put up some pics of the Sunbeam please.I have a friend with at least most of one in various boxes.Not sure of the year but it is in the early 50's.Thanks,Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Now that I closely look at it, the red one does have an "H" on it

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

There WERE other knobs used for OD control, but those were on trucks.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X