• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 61 Hawk Dash Panel

Hello All,
    I have a bit of a problem with my dash instrument backing panel,
    some bright spark has cut a huge whole for the clock in the middle,
    would of been OK, but has gone over the edge, I'm thinking that finding another RHD
    panel might be a problem. They have also hashed up the radio section , but I'm pretty sure I could
    cover that. Just putting it out there to the Australian members or anyone that might have a spare,
    or a good idea how to fix. I have a complete '62 GT dash that I'm thinking of using if all else fails,

regards, CusClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1760849
    sigpic

what material is this made from?
    Some genius welder may be able to TIG it back together from a cut up section.

Comment

Comment

That material is such thin aluminum, I don't think it could ever be repaired to look good.

Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker sells a reproduction panel for LHD cars made from thicker stainless steel. It is thicker and doesn't have the bead around the edges so you would have to get the glove box piece as well so the two sections match each other. He has them cut on a CNC so I think he could flip the pattern to fit your car without too much trouble.

As I said, they arte not an exact reproduction but they do look good. I bought 3 original dash panel overlays that were all advertised as excellent condition. None of them looked very good to me so I ended up buying a set of the reproductions that Rene sells. Only a Stude guy that is inspecting the car very closely would ever know the difference.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

That's too bad Marcus, that the PO did not use the existing Clock hole in the Fiberglass, to cut through the Aluminum overlay, over by the Glovebox!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Wayne, I'll contact Rene, do the panels have the same swirl pattern?
            Hello Rich, there's been a few things done to this car that leaves me scratching my head, but I'm sorting through it all,

regards Cus
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, the panels Rene offers are "engine turned" stainless.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Had an automated reply from Southeast Studebaker, that they are not replying to emails....”interesting business decision “
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
                  Had an automated reply from Southeast Studebaker, that they are not replying to emails....”interesting business decision “
                  I wonder if this is just a temporary thing since their ad in next month's Turning Wheels lists their e-mail address first, followed by their web site and then their telephone number.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rene really only works with direct phone calls. You must call during business hours. You can’t leave a message

Comment

Hi Cus-
                      How do you feel about 'rolling-your-own' on this score. The engine turning is fairly easy to master if you have a drillpress and the results can be astounding. I am looking at probably having to do the same on my RHD '61 Hawk.
                      Steve... In Melbourne.

Comment

Rene is having health problems and is not shipping anything.
                        My friend has ordered and fully paid for a complete interior over a year ago and Rene has not shipped it yet and won't communicate.
                        I realize that vendor complaints are not to be published here but this has been going on for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                          Rene is having health problems and is not shipping anything.
                          My friend has ordered and fully paid for a complete interior over a year ago and Rene has not shipped it yet and won't communicate.
                          I realize that vendor complaints are not to be published here but this has been going on for too long.
                          Thanks for the heads up on that one, think he should take down his website. Hello Steve from Melbourne, I’m going to program a template for CNc routing or laser cutting, I have a plotter so I’ll be able to do a pen plot actual size for a test template, once I get the file sorted, I’ll email it to anyone that wants it, would be able to be flipped/ mirrored for Lhd, I’m not sure about doing the swirl pattern though, I reckon that would take some effort to get it looking uniformed. I’m thinking about doing walnut burl maybe, regards, Cus
                          sigpic

Comment

Cus63,

FPM metals can take your CAD file and laser cut it in engine turned aluminum, anodized in a myriad of colors. Check out FPM.

JK

Comment

Working...
                            X