Edelbrock air filter adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Edelbrock air filter adapter

I just bought an Edelbrock 1403 carb at the South Bend swap meet for my 62 GT. I'm wanting to continue to use my original air filter. The problem is, as most of you already know, is that the Edelbrock has a 5 1/8" air horn. I spoke to a few vendors at the meet that told me that adapters were easy to get. I've been searching every site that I can find and so far I've only found one on ebay that was $45.00. Checked tonight and I can't find it back. A recent Turning Wheels entry told about a company in California that custom made one for a member. I called them and they want $125.00 for it. All the inexpensive adapters that I can find adapt a 5 1/8" air filter to the smaller 4 1/2" carb, but not the other way around. Anyone out there have any ideas? I find it hard to believe that this isn't a common issue when an AFB is swapped for a Edelbrock. I guess everyone just automatically replaces the air filter too. I even checked the forum for a previous entry about this and couldn't find anything. I'm open to suggestions. Has anyone out there been able to source an inexpensive, easily available adapter. Thanks for any suggestions.

Roger List
    Roger W. List
    Proud Studebaker Owner

Yes that is what "Some People" actually most do, is buy those terrible OPEN Edelbrock or Cal Custom Chrome Air Cleaners that let all the Oil, Water, Dirt and Dust STRAIGHT into the Filter Element.

Here is an Adapter to fit a Studebaker AFB or WCFB Air Cleaner, Standard or R1 to a New Edelbrock 1403 or other 5 1/8" Carb.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66315

In order to bolt your new Edelbrock Carb. to an Intake Manifold, you WILL need a '63/'64 AFB size Intake Manifold or one of the modified intakes that Members here Machine from a 2 Barrel Intake to fit the larger pattern and Throttles than your Original small bore Carter WCFB Intake.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-29-2019, 10:45 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Make it easy on yourself..!

Make up a quick drawing, take it to a local machine shop or two, see how much they'll charge you for it. I wouldn't think it would be too much, and it would be a stable material and exactly...what you want.
      It will be more money than a piece of plastic, but it will be a MUCH better part too.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Yes that is what "Some People" actually most do, is buy those terrible OPEN Edelbrock or Cal Custom Chrome Air Cleaners that let all the Oil, Water, Dirt and Dust STRAIGHT into the Filter Element.

Here is an Adapter to fit a Studebaker AFB or WCFB Air Cleaner, Standard or R1 to a New Edelbrock 1403 or other 5 1/8" Carb.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66315
        Isn't that part the oppose of what he wants? It appears to adapt the old carb to a larger air cleaner.
        Air Cleaner Adapter, Plastic, Black, 4 7/32 in. Carburetor Inlet to 5 1/8 in. Air Cleaner Opening, Each
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes, that adapter "goes the wrong way. " I'm currently running an AFB on a 63 manifold. I put this carb on my GT back in 1966. Just found out a few years ago that it is an Avanti R1 carb, 3985S. I'm just not happy with the way it is running so I'm hoping the new Edelbrock will help make an improvement. My nephew is a machinist and offered to make an adapter, looks like that's the way to go.

Roger List
          Roger W. List
          Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

I am not familiar with the stock air cleaner, but would it be possible to use the base from a currently available air cleaner that will fit your housing? Someone had just the base with a larger opening available a few years back.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

On my 64 Avanti, I just use a cheap black plastic adapter/spacer from the FLAPS.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                On my 64 Avanti, I just use a cheap black plastic adapter/spacer from the FLAPS.
                That is what I'm looking for. Do you have any information on where you got it and a description?

The base that is available won't work with the original filter housing because the housing is formed up around the filter element. It has a small lid that is held down with the wing nut but the rest is one piece.

Thanks for your reply
                Roger List
                Roger W. List
                Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

I would think any adapter would add to the height. IIWM, I get a cheap 5 1/8" base and cut it down to fit the bottom of my original. Then just open up the bottom of the original and pop rivet/weld the 5 1/8" one to it. If you want to keep the original base, I'm sure you could find another base here or on Ebay for cheap.

Bob

Comment

Had bad time with air filter adapters, all I could find were plastic and broke. Fabbed one from baby moon and sheet metal.Works well.

Comment

The previous owner of my Lark put a new four barrel on it. Boy it drives nicely!

What he did was cut out the mount area from some other air cleaner that fit the carburetor. Then he cut the mount flange off the bottom of the Studebaker air cleaner.

Haven't looked lately, but my recollection is that he pop riveted the two together. Probably used some form of sealant, too.

Since the graft is on the bottom of the air cleaner, no one can see it. It looks completely stock under the hood.

Genius.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        What he did was cut out the mount area from some other air cleaner that fit the carburetor. Then he cut the mount flange off the bottom of the Studebaker air cleaner.
                        If the stud coming from the center of the carb is what retains the air cleaner, you shouldn't need to cut the original. It's smaller and should fit inside the larger new air cleaner pan. Just trim the new pan to fit under the old one.

Comment

If I remember correctly those plastic adapters are a Mr Gasket product.

Comment

One member simply enlarged the 4 7/32 hole to 5 1/8. said it was easy enough.the origional air cleaner flange is recessed a ways, you might run into clearance problems by adding to the bottom. measure twice,cut once. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                            X