Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not been around lately

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    The smaller end of the choke stove loop is where another metal pipe fits over the top and the other end goes to the choke housing. A little difference in length, but this is what that side looks like on my Champ truck. Good luck.
    Thanks very much for the photo, major help!!! Now I'm going to be a real PITA.... do you have a photo of the other side? I've got a large threaded hole on the other side of the carb body and I don't know where the hell that goes / connects to???

    Doofus, thanks for the info. I assume the pipe from the rear right side of the intake manifold goes to the PCV pipe on the carb? I have no manuals etc for my car. I've just ordered a workshop manual from ebay.
    The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Larkingaround, back up,2 small pipes on choke side of carb form a loop to get clean heated air to choke thermostat, nothing else. Large tube at rear of carb base is pcv only. do you have a pcv adapter on tappet chamber cover? you can modify the road draft tube to make your own pcv adapter, just use the top piece and go from there. what kind of carb are you describing? more info please, it's raining here so enjoying this no end! Luck Doofus

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by doofus View Post
        Larkingaround, back up,2 small pipes on choke side of carb form a loop to get clean heated air to choke thermostat, nothing else. Large tube at rear of carb base is pcv only. do you have a pcv adapter on tappet chamber cover? you can modify the road draft tube to make your own pcv adapter, just use the top piece and go from there. what kind of carb are you describing? more info please, it's raining here so enjoying this no end! Luck Doofus
        Been throwing it down with rain here too all bl**dy day. But it is England after all.....

        The carb is a Stromberg 2 barrel, --link https://www.ebay.com/itm/17378337189...m=173783371897

        My car has Offenhauser tappet covers with no breather pipes or otherwise coming from them.
        I don't dislike modified cars as long as I have made the mods so I know what's been changed and what hasn't. When working through someone else's mods it's difficult to know what's been altered and what hasn't unless you know enough about the standard car in the first place.
        I made two mistakes....
        1, I bought a car I have little knowledge of.
        2, I bought it from a slightly dishonest seller who negated to tell me about the load of bodges that I'm slowly working my way through.

        It's a lovely car and I can't wait until I can drive it without the flat spots, coughing, spluttering, stalling and general bad behaviour it's displayed since I first had it delivered.

        I'm just now cleaning the Holley up and I'll list it on ebay and see what it makes. I have it working properly on all four chokes now instead of just the two some plonker had "modified" it to do. If anyone needs a square bore intake for a 289 I have one. I know it's worth the square root of sod all but it may be of use to someone?
        The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

        Comment


        • #19
          Never seen a large threaded hole anywhere on a Stromberg. they were also used on GMC V6 trucks and lots of other vehicles. can you better describe exactly where the hole is? i have a couple in the shed but none like you describe. Face it those Bodges you complain about are keeping you active and going strong! Rain stopped, time to hit the 60 a lick, i'll look at the Stromberg just in case. Luck Doofus

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Never seen a large threaded hole anywhere on a Stromberg. they were also used on GMC V6 trucks and lots of other vehicles. can you better describe exactly where the hole is? i have a couple in the shed but none like you describe. Face it those Bodges you complain about are keeping you active and going strong! Rain stopped, time to hit the 60 a lick, i'll look at the Stromberg just in case. Luck Doofus

            https://goo.gl/images/QjFHca

            Hopefully this link will work. You can see the threaded hole on the centre of the carb body.
            The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

            Comment


            • #21
              OK mis understanding at this end. that is the vacuum port for the "Spark Modifier" nipple. Keep at it and i'll do the same. Luck Doofus

              Comment


              • #22
                What on earth is one of those and where do I connect it? I should have bought an Austin or an MG. I know what to do with those.
                The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  That is the vacuum line that will run to the vacuum advance on the distributor Photo below is from the factory. Large hose is PCV - small one loops to distributor.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    That is the vacuum line that will run to the vacuum advance on the distributor Photo below is from the factory. Large hose is PCV - small one loops to distributor.
                    Aaah, advance / retard vacuum pipe. Excellent thanks. We Brits have weird names for things

                    I appreciate your help guys, very much appreciated. Without your knowledge I'd be dead in the water.

                    Just got to find my PCV connection now. On the photo there's a pipe by the dizzy but mine doesn't have that. Mines a strange old bus.....
                    The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      You may still have the road draft tube. PCV system took a different Cap on the tappet chamber cover.Pcv cap has a tube out the side that bends up, pcv plugs onto that,2 short hoses and an elbow to bottom rear of carb base. Luck Doofus

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        PCVs were required on 1962 models that were sold in California, and US nationwide on 1963 models. However, export vehicles didn't necessarily have them, and lots of them have been removed in the last 50 years. But (obviously) some sort of crankcase ventilation is necessary.
                        Skip Lackie

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Thanks Skip. I've overcome the issue and it's all sorted.

                          Doofus, you messaged me to ask about fittings.....I need the three fittings to connect to these.
                          Top picture, fuel and heat loop to choke.
                          Bottom picture, vacuum to distributor/
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1725316
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1725317
                          The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X