Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct Plugs/Wires for an Avanti Tuneup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Correct Plugs/Wires for an Avanti Tuneup?

Plugs: #R45TS AcDelco Professional Spark Plugs
    Wires: #608D Tailor Res. Wires
    Rotor: #D448X AcDelco Professional Dist. Rotor
    Cap:#D336X AcDelco Professional Dist. Cap
    After having my 79 Avanti II professionally tuned up using the above parts I encountered radio static issues that did not change with the RPMs.
    They then found interference coming form the cover over the distributor...when a hand is placed between the distributor and the firewall the interference goes away...they found the RFI Compressor to be faulty and replaced it with a #50-7502 Radio Frequency Interference Capacitator....the also then replaced the rotor with a #D157HD and the cap with a #C197HD. All to no avail....still static! Any ideas out there.....?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

What are..."professional"...spark plugs, distributor rotor and cap ?
    And why didn't you buy..."professional" spark plug wires ?

Mike

Comment

You got me!....that was the description on the work order from the repair shop....that's why I hoping someone smarter than me can shed some light on the issue.....
      Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
      What are..."professional"...spark plugs, distributor rotor and cap ?
      And why didn't you buy..."professional" spark plug wires ?

Mike
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Sounds like a ploy to get more green from your wallet, than by using plain ol, everyday spark plugs, rather than "Professional" spark plugs.

Mike

Comment

Make it sound better...charge 'em more money!
          Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          Sounds like a ploy to get more green from your wallet, than by using plain ol, everyday spark plugs, rather than "Professional" spark plugs.

Mike
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

I'm thinking the old cap probably had a different plastic thickness or composition that kept the interference at bay. Get that cheap looking plastic wire covering from any GM car at a bone yard and slip it over the spark plug wires... Or try using the old cap.

Comment

The "Professional" line may use copper contacts rather than aluminum.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Professional line of AC parts is aimed at shops that are looking for decent parts that will work. They are not premium parts like the ones sold by Napa Echlin or Standard Blue Streak. The caps have aluminum contacts and not copper or brass like the premium parts. Bud

Comment

I have verified that the the plugs and wires are indeed correct....
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                    Plugs: #R45TS AcDelco Professional Spark Plugs
                    Wires: #608D Tailor Res. Wires
                    Rotor: #D448X AcDelco Professional Dist. Rotor
                    Cap:#D336X AcDelco Professional Dist. Cap
                    After having my 79 Avanti II professionally tuned up using the above parts I encountered radio static issues that did not change with the RPMs.
                    They then found interference coming form the cover over the distributor...when a hand is placed between the distributor and the firewall the interference goes away...they found the RFI Compressor to be faulty and replaced it with a #50-7502 Radio Frequency Interference Capacitor....the also then replaced the rotor with a #D157HD and the cap with a #C197HD. All to no avail....still static! Any ideas out there.....?
                    So the static in your radio does not change with RPM?

This would lead me to think it is not your distributor. If the condenser in your distributor is bad, it would affect the spark operation, and "generally" radio noise is from the charging system.

Being all fiberglass, every positive connection has a ground connection. You may need to check the grounding to the radio and maybe the ground's on the charging system.

The hand is not a "Radio" noise shield. That sounds like a David Copperfield act. If you have the stainless covers over the distributor, it will be a way better Faraday cage against static than a human hand.
                    (Maybe your mechanic was "Wolverine" with "Adamantium" in him.. I could be wrong.)

I also searched the parts on Amazon. The D336X shows up but not the military area 51 shielded one C197HD does not.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-12 16_21_23-Amazon.com_ ACDelco D336X Professional Ignition Distributor Cap_ Automotive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1724348Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-12 16_22_10-Amazon.com_ ACDelco C197HD_ Automotive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1724349

Comment

Seriously, placing your hand there will solve the problem.....all the shields are in place.
                      Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                      So the static in your radio does not change with RPM?

This would lead me to think it is not your distributor. If the condenser in your distributor is bad, it would affect the spark operation, and "generally" radio noise is from the charging system.

Being all fiberglass, every positive connection has a ground connection. You may need to check the grounding to the radio and maybe the ground's on the charging system.

The hand is not a "Radio" noise shield. That sounds like a David Copperfield act. If you have the stainless covers over the distributor, it will be a way better Faraday cage against static than a human hand.
                      (Maybe your mechanic was "Wolverine" with "Adamantium" in him.. I could be wrong.)

I also searched the parts on Amazon. The D336X shows up but not the military area 51 shielded one C197HD does not.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]76951[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76952[/ATTACH]

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ributor+C197HD
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

It's possible that the shields are not grounded properly.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X