No announcement yet.

1957 Silver Hawk 3 on the tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sent a PM, as I'll be close to Rochester on Wednesday.

Comment

Special thanks to Tom (TWChamp) for stopping in yesterday. Five minutes with a professional adjusting my linkage took care of the problem!!!

And thanks to everyone else for all your help.

Carl

Comment

most V8 Studes have no problems starting out in 2nd gear...assuming a good engine...especially Larks

Comment

Luckily the fix was a simple adjustment. It's pretty tight where the shift levers come out of the steering column, so it was hard to see when they were exactly lined up. Even when I sat in the driver's seat and lifted the lever back and forth in the neutral position, it felt pretty good, like it should shift fine, especially if the lever was moved in the strict H pattern. After looking from every angle, it looked like the 2-3 arm on the steering might be just a hair low, so I turned the adjustment block down about 3 turns to raise the steering arm slightly. That was all it took.

BTW, I was really impressed by the precision work done in EDM shop there. The block with the metal block being pushed through a complex shaped hole was so precise that it wouldn't even hold a light coat of oil on the surface. Wish all my piston rings had that precise a fit. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            Luckily the fix was a simple adjustment. It's pretty tight where the shift levers come out of the steering column, so it was hard to see when they were exactly lined up. Even when I sat in the driver's seat and lifted the lever back and forth in the neutral position, it felt pretty good, like it should shift fine, especially if the lever was moved in the strict H pattern. After looking from every angle, it looked like the 2-3 arm on the steering might be just a hair low, so I turned the adjustment block down about 3 turns to raise the steering arm slightly. That was all it took.

BTW, I was really impressed by the precision work done in EDM shop there. The block with the metal block being pushed through a complex shaped hole was so precise that it wouldn't even hold a light coat of oil on the surface. Wish all my piston rings had that precise a fit. LOL
            Read this tread completely because I have the same problem with my newly acquired 56 President Classic with a T-85. I knew it is an easy fix. If possible, could I get a picture of the adjustment area that was done so I can drive the car around except in my neighborhood. I ordered a shop manual; does the manual have an illustration of this procedure? I really like the car and do want to drive it

I was told by a long time Studebaker owner (since 1956) all I had to do was just a slight push to neutral and let it drop down to shift to second, but I can't always find the sweet spot.

Thanks,

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
            X