Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Starter

Does anyone know what the clearances are supposed to be between the armature and the fields on a six volt starter.
    Jerry Kurtz
    Last edited by jerezstude; 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM.

I've never seen a spec, but by how much the drive end bushing wears when the armature starts to rub, I'd say about .005" to .008".
    Last edited by TWChamp; 07-13-2018, 06:03 PM.

Comment

jerezstude;
      Unless you are building your own starter; why would you need to know. You could place the armature inside the starter resting on one of the field coils and measure the clearance with a feeler gauge. If there is any play in the rear bushing the armature will hit the field coils.
      Ron

Comment

I am having a continuing problem with a six volt starter have done all the normal things, heavy cables, ground wire to starter. Tore several starter apart and found most have .0355 or more clearances. I thought that was excessive so that is why I asked.
        Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Have you used a growler on the armature?
          Do all the springs have good tension?
          If you bench test a starter, you better have some heavy duty jumper cables. Most cables are too light for bench testing.

Comment

Yes I have a growler and have used it on the armature, actually I have tried several armatures. The brush springs all have good tension. When it is bench tested it runs freely.
            Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Had a starter problem. It was "dragging" If your's is dragging you can see the rub spot on the field coil. The guy at Wabasso Electric Motor [507-342-3701] is a wizard with starters and generators shaved a cat's whisker off the armature and viola--just like new. The most common cause for the armature dragging on the field is worn bushings. A growler is just a gadget that tells you if the armature might be shorted out. I just use a VOM to do that. Be sure bushings are good-rplace them --they are cheap. Good Luck Jerry

Comment

Working...
              X