Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Need a litltle help

Hello all,
    I have a bone-stock 55 Speedster painted in a black-white-black combination. Due to a stupid mistake on my part I have to have the hood repainted. My question is what is a PPG or other paint manufacturer code for the white paint?

Any help appreciated, Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Originally posted by stall View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a bone-stock 55 Speedster painted in a black-white-black combination. Due to a stupid mistake on my part I have to have the hood repainted. My question is what is a PPG or other paint manufacturer code for the white paint?

Any help appreciated, Murray
    After all this time, not sure anyone will have an accurate paint code, and besides, the white paint on your car may not be exactly original, or may have faded.

If you live near a paint supply shop, they can likely match the paint on your car. If they employ an old-timer, he may do a perfect job by eyeball, or they may have a modern "color camera" which will do a virtually perfect match.

Today many body repair shops have their own on-site color mixing, and can likely match your paint color.

However if "bone-stock" means 63 year old original paint, then no new paint will match perfectly, but a good body shop may be able to buff out the white on the rest of the car and get very close with new paint on the hood.

Comment

Here are PPG numbers from 1955 should still be in the books, but like the other poster said may not mach good with old paint.

Comment

PPG sales terminals have a color capture gun they can use on a location that doesn't get a lot of sun ( edge of the hood?) Their comparisons and results are almost 100% spot on.
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Many thanks guys, as always great, helpful responses.
          Murray
          Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

The O'reilly store where my brother works has the color matching equipment. I guess most of their stores that sell paint would have it.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I drove my 50 Champion to the auto paint store to have them shoot the dash, but they said couldn't come up with a match.
              He said the gun was way off the scale, and couldn't even come close.

Comment

Any good body shop will have a mixing machine and the talent to match paint. They will usually paint the repaired area and blend the color past the repair so that even a slight variation is not seen. Panel painting, painting up to a body seam so that the new paint is next to old paint. is asking for a noticeable color difference. A few years back when EPA got involved with auto paints and toners, everything changed and some toners were discontinued and the original paint formulas were no longer relevant. Since then paints have been reformulated and close matches to old paints are usually what you get if you ask for the original color.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                X