Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6Volt Horn Repair? Need to get my '51 Champion honking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6Volt Horn Repair? Need to get my '51 Champion honking!

Year-long restoration of 1951 Champion Regal Convertible is nearly done -- but I'm having trouble finding a good source for restoration of the two horns inside this bullet-nose beauty. Have purchased junkyard horns from Vern Ediger in Kansas (thanks Vern!), but they don't work very well.

The only source I could find on the "Internets" doing horn repair only does so for 12V horns.

Anyone got a good suggestion of a 6V horn fixer-upper?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Stude A.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1757380

Any dedicated auto electric repair shop should be able to clean the points and get the horns working up to snuff. Back in the day it often only required light hammering on the housing to dislodge crud from the points. But I would recommend Dave Arland of Carmel, IN. Probably something you could personally accomplish if you feel brave.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had a 51 Champ convert as my 1st Studebaker,automatic,6 cyl. Whith heavy convertible frame could hardly pull itself ,was ready to inststal a V/8 but sold it B-4 that happened.Yours looks good,hope U will be happy with it.

Comment

Don't know much about him but Bill Randle in Rome ny fixes antique horns. He has good reviews. Phone number (315) 336-8841.

Comment

There's no difference in the way 6v and 12v horns work, so someone who knows how to fix a 12v horn should be able to fix a 6v unit. But they would need access to a 6v battery to test it. I recently dug out a 1960 Delco service bulletin describing horn repair. It does describe a couple of different horn designs, but makes no distinction between 6v and 12v units.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Just talked with Bill Randle on the phone (Post #4). He's temporarily not repairing horns...broke both wrists. When he gets back in business, he gets $75/horn, and only does 6V horns, due to the housing fasteners.

Comment

I would check the voltage at the horn, and if you have the full 6.2 volts, then I'd remove the cover and see how it looks inside.
              It might just need to have the contacts cleaned. Last summer I bought a 1950 horn from French Lake junk yard, and it blows great.
              Aside from a bad ground or low voltage, I rarely see horns giving trouble.

Comment

Ebay has some 6v horns, bought a jack base there and person that had it had other things listed. Horns were on it. I have a 6v Pontiac horn on my champion, same thing as old non working horn. Never had any problems on ebay with purchases quality.

Comment

You might just need to adjust the points to get it tooting. The points are often corroded . I have had good luck cleaning the points with a point file or very fine sandpaper and readjusting them. If that does not work the windings are likely bad and repair is $$$$

Comment

Working...
                  X