Front disc brakes upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Front disc brakes upgrade

What are you guys using for a front disc spindle and disc brake update on a 60 lark?

Turner brakes. No modification to the spindle is necessary.
    turnerbrake.com
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

We just had this question going on here...

"Turner" and "Hot Rods and Brakes" are the only two off the shelf kits available (far as I know).
      Both work well.

Hot Rods and Brakes kit is clean, simple, and proven to work well. It uses off the shelf rotors and calipers, hoses, bearings and seals. Just a custom caliper mounting bracket. Requires no modifications to the car.

Turners kit also uses of the shelf parts the same as the Hot Rods and Brakes kit. It also works fine. The main difference in the two kits are the caliper mounting bracket itself. This bracket is of a two piece design that requires extra fasteners to attach them. It's a large heavy bracket assembly. Also requires no modifications.

I've personally owned both of the above kits. Currently I have three Studes with disc brakes -
      1. One kit that is the original design (I believe) to the current Hot Rods and Brakes kit, it's on my 59 Lark
      2. I have one Hot Rods and Brakes kit, mounted on one of my 54 wagons (with aluminum calipers mounted).
      3. I also have a design of my own on my other Conestoga.
      The Turner kit that I bought, I sold without using.

Mike

Comment

sbca96 makes the biggest brakes if you are putting a lot of hp in the car.

Comment

Sorry if there is another thread addressing it. I looked, ( I guess not that well ) and didn't find any anything that looked current.

I will be asking a few questions about the front brakes and suspension, and rack and pinion steering as I am trying to bring my car out of the 60s and make it more modern.
          Basically I am trying to figure out if it's easier to modify the existing stuff or just cut the front frame off for a mustang 2 or later model clip.

Comment

It looks like we need to ask what the expected USE of this modified '60 Lark VI 4 Door Wagon is going to be?

If you are not going Road Racing, I see no need to install a Fatman & Mustang II front Frame Clip to go City or Country Cruising, or EVEN Drag Racing!
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-18-2017, 07:55 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

sbc96's brakes -
              Nice work, but really no better than the above. Very similar pad square inches to the "large" GM pads used on the above calipers.

As for altering the front suspension, not worth the time. As I keep saying any "kit" suspension will work VERY little (if at all) better than a good Stude suspension with the addition of large anti-roll bars (frt. & rr) and good shocks.
              What Rich said.

If you want to spend a LOT of time and or money - https://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/60_lark/
              While still not running, I spent a LOT of time setting the geometry up correctly for THIS car. Wheel base, track width. I used most of the Corvette dimensions to build this setup. Only altered the ones to properly go with the shorter wheelbase and narrower track. A LOT of time invested.
              Even the new Mustang rack and pinion IS actually a custom piece ($) to minimize the bump-steer.
              It's NOT just a bolt on..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                It looks like we need to ask what the expected USE of this modified '60 Lark VI 4 Door Wagon is going to be?

If you are not going Road Racing, I see no need to install a Fatman & Mustang II front Frame Clip to go City or Country Cruising, or EVEN Drag Racing!
                Yep I understand, I was thinking I would stub it. Now I am rethinking it. But it will just be a driver. From what I have been reading it seems like a retrofit rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, quality shocks and swap bars will get me where I want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                  sbc96's brakes -
                  Nice work, but really no better than the above. Very similar pad square inches to the "large" GM pads used on the above calipers.

As for altering the front suspension, not worth the time. As I keep saying any "kit" suspension will work VERY little (if at all) better than a good Stude suspension with the addition of large anti-roll bars (frt. & rr) and good shocks.
                  What Rich said.

If you want to spend a LOT of time and or money - https://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/60_lark/
                  While still not running, I spent a LOT of time setting the geometry up correctly for THIS car. Wheel base, track width. I used most of the Corvette dimensions to build this setup. Only altered the ones to properly go with the shorter wheelbase and narrower track. A LOT of time invested.
                  Even the new Mustang rack and pinion IS actually a custom piece ($) to minimize the bump-steer.
                  It's NOT just a bolt on..!

Mike
                  I am not looking for bolt on. I am a Fabricator by trade.
                  Just trying to be smart about my time and money I put into the car. Plus I tend to over think and over build everything, I am want to take a step back and reel myself in a little on this car.

Comment

Studelarkrod wrote -

""From what I have been reading it seems like a retrofit rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, quality shocks and swap bars will get me where I want to be.""

Again, the rack and pinion steering will be a bit of a pain to get even close to the stock steering action..! Just install a good Saginaw box.
                    Hope you mean sway bars..?!
                    On the rack and pinon deal...do some reading on "what is bump steer" how to eliminate it. To do this "correctly"...a custom rack will be required.

Mike

Comment

Studelarkrod wrote -

""From what I have been reading it seems like a retrofit rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, quality shocks and swap bars will get me where I want to be.""

Again, the rack and pinion steering will be a bit of a pain to get even close to the stock steering action..! Just install a good Saginaw box.
                      On the rack and pinon deal...do some reading on "what is bump steer" how to eliminate it. To do this "correctly"...a custom rack will be required.

Mike
                      Sorry for the type-o yeah I meant sway bars.

Comment

Studelarkrod wrote -

Mike
                        So you think it's easier/ more cost& time effective to get a new steering box? Do you have a part number I can have?

Comment

61 and newer lark has the saginaw box. I agree with Mike on the R&P swap. And I also used the hot rods and brakes kit , but used a Turner master cyl bracket.

Comment

For the OP, do you plan to keep the original drive train? If so, you do not need any upgrades to brakes, steering, or suspension. OTOH, if you plan a swap to Stude V8, or to a modern drive train, you will definitely need to address all of the above.

Comment

My current plan is a gm 3.8 v6.
                              I will rebuild the front end with all new stuff.
                              And invest in some new shocks and springs.
                              Along with the newer saginaw gear

Comment

Working...
                              X