1950 Land Cruiser With No Radio Clock and Lighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1950 Land Cruiser With No Radio Clock and Lighter

I have never seen a 1950 Land Cruiser without what I always thought came standard on them.
    The one I just bought is a bare bones with no radio, clock and lighter.
    This car was built in September 1949, if that helps with the mystery of being a top line model, but with no basic accessories.
    The build sheet only shows whitewall tires, wheel covers, and heater.
    Also, does anyone know what the 2 pedals and shift knob are from? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1756096
    Last edited by TWChamp; 11-05-2017, 10:35 PM.

A radio was a serious option back then, Tom; I've seen several of those in my life ordered with no radio. Too, if a dealer was ordering it for stock, he would be well-advised to order it with no radio and sell one as a dealer-installed accessory if the ultimate customer / first retail buyer wanted one.

The clock and lighter, while also options, are much more common than a radio. That's one of the plainest '50 LCs I've ever seen, I'll admit. Nice car.

The brake and clutch pedals are simply later Studebaker; 1955(IIRC) and newer. Used clear to the end on Hawks and through 1960 on Larks and others.

I've seen that gear shift knob before, but I'm not sure if it was on a production car. It might have been an aftermarket part/accessory offered by Western Auto or some such in the 1950s and 1960s. I don't believe it is from a production car; certainly not from a Studebaker. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Interesting to me is the color of the steering wheel. That tan is usually found on the 52 models.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I once looked at a 57 Packard 4 dr. that had no P/S, radio only options were P/B & auto. was all was original & sellers fathers car.Strange on a luxery car.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          Interesting to me is the color of the steering wheel. That tan is usually found on the 52 models.
          Nope. Many of the 50 Commanders had that steering wheel. My 50 Commander convertible does. It was a common color from 50-52 on the higher end models. The shift lever knob, the windshield wiper knob, the knobs on the vent doors in the kick panels, the knob on the seat adjustment, the knobs on the ash trays are all the same color on my car.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Nope. Many of the 50 Commanders had that steering wheel. My 50 Commander convertible does. It was a common color from 50-52 on the higher end models. The shift lever knob, the windshield wiper knob, the knobs on the vent doors in the kick panels, the knob on the seat adjustment, the knobs on the ash trays are all the same color on my car.
            Tan color in my '51 Commander as well and, when the sun hits it just right, slightly translucent.

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
            I once looked at a 57 Packard 4 dr. that had no P/S, radio only options were P/B & auto. was all was original & sellers fathers car.Strange on a luxery car.
            I once owned a '57 Cadillac Model 62 four door hardtop with no radio, no A/C, crank windows and vacuum wipers. Fun car.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I realized that as far as the steering wheel itself, I was thinking of my dad's 52 Land Cruiser and it was translucent. The knobs and bezels on the interior of the other 52 models were tan, but the LC got chrome. Weird....
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

My 50 Commander convertible came without radio or heater, but it did have turn signals. Many of the early 50's California cars came without turn signals.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

My 50 Commander convertible came without radio or heater, but it did have turn signals. Many of the early 50's California cars came without turn signals.
                  In New York State, turn signals were required on new cars starting in 1953, but this did not apply in all states.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    In New York State, turn signals were required on new cars starting in 1953, but this did not apply in all states.
                    In Minnesota, turn signals were required for cars built after July, 1949.

I have heard stories that turn signals were poo-pooed, or not required in California because the sun was too bright to see them. Has anyone else heard a story like that?

Comment

Sounds like the sun was brighter than the drivers back them. LOL

BTW, I looked through my pictures of the 1950 Land Cruiser I just bought, and it does have turn signals.

Comment

Working...
                      X