Parking Brake Cable Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Parking Brake Cable Removal

I want to remove the parking brake cable from the rear hubs on a '50 Champion. After removing the hardware from the front part of the cable system, I'm not sure how to remove the cable from the hub assembly. I've removed the cable from the operating lever. The next step, per the shop manual, is to "Pull the cable rearward, remove the stop and then pull the cable forward and out of the backing plate tube. The "stop" is attached to the cable by some sort or machine operation. Any guidance on would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1755786

Sorry for the orientation, this is the first time I've not used Photobucket.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Doesn't the Shop Manual have a picture of the Backing Plate and Parking Brake assembly with the correct Part Names applied to the pictured Parts, so you can determine exactly WHICH "Stop" they are talking about?

Not sure what some of your "Terms" mean...

(1) "I want to remove the parking brake cable from the rear hubs on a '50 Champion."
    (2) "I'm not sure how to remove the cable from the hub assembly."
    The "Hub" is the Brake Drum Hub that SPINS, so has nothing to do with the fixed parts on the Backing plate.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good Points. I'll clarify.

I want to remove the parking brake cable from the rear backing plate assembly on a '50 Champion. After removing the hardware from the front part of the cable system, I'm not sure how to remove the cable from the backing plate assembly. I've removed the cable from the parking brake operating lever. The next step, per the shop manual, is to "Pull the cable rearward, remove the stop and then pull the cable forward and out of the backing plate tube." There is no photo in the shop manual to provide a description of the "stop". As seen in the photo above, there is a spherical metal device mechanically attached to the end of the cable allowing the cable to pull the parking brake operating lever, moving the front brake shoe against the hub.

The photo above shows the parking brake operating lever and the cable end.

Several years ago I purchased a parking brake cable assembly from a gentleman at the York swap meet. I'd like to install it on our business coupe.

Any guidance on would be appreciated.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

On the 50 and 51 there is a cylinder that slides into the backing plate tube and the cable goes thru it. There is a C type ring goes in a grove on it that makes it too large to pass thru the guide tube. I have had them stick in the tube and had to push them out from the front of the tube with a small rod or something that will go thru the bend in the tube. Remove the C ring from the cylinder and it will pull forward out of the backing plate. Took me several hours to figure this out on my 50 champion, the stop is completely invisible inside the guide tube but it will be just behind the reduced diameter on the tube. Hope this makes sense.
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

Thanks for the input, I have some cleaning to do on the backing plate. Then I'll follow your instructions.
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

The cable removal from the backing plate has been accomplished. Thanks to DOUBLEDADDY. His description of the solution was absolutely right on. Here is a photo showing the cylinder and the C type ring described in post #5 above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1716619
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment