Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R1's running the Edelbrock 1403 Carburetor Jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: R1's running the Edelbrock 1403 Carburetor Jets?

What is everyone using for jets in their Edelbrock 1403's on the R1 Avanti? I left the factory jets in, but seems a little to rich. Just curious what luck others are having.
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

I'm still running the original AFB on my 63 Hawk with a .093 main jet and .077 secondary jet. I'm also using metering rods with .071 & .048 steps. Also, I'm in Colorado at 5200' of altitude.

Comment

If one is serious about carb jetting correction, a wide-band 02 sensor is really the only way to go. Today's fuel doesn't color spark plugs and tailpipes the way we old guys learned to read them. Tuning carbs for fifty years, I learned how much I didn't know after I started using an O2 sensor.

Another FWIW, verify the distributor vacuum advance canister and intake manifold gaskets aren't leaking. No way to correct carb jetting if there are vacuum leaks.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

What Jack said...

Also, a "Strip Kit" is very helpful in tuning these carburetors.

And the first (and easiest) tuning attempt would be to swap (no "out" here) either metering rods or metering rod vacuum springs. They can make large changes to the fuel metering without digging into the innards of the carb.
        Plus in the kit is the same basic instructions that came with the carb. on "how" to tune the carburetor.

Mike

Comment

I use .098 primary with 74-47 metering rods, with orange springs. My altitude is basically 300 ft so you may need to lean out a bit more for altitude .
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've done several on R1s and have left them as shipped, which worked fine for me.
            Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-08-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I'm using the stock 1403 on my R1, with no problem.

Comment

Working...
              X