Ford 6" wheel interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 6" wheel interchange

Can anyone tell me what year Ford Bronco used the 15x6 steel wheels? I need a set to put on a 55 champion sedan that has the disc brake conversion. I don't want to go any wider if possible. Understand that some years of Jeep will work as well?
    Thanks guys!
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

The 4x4 Bronco II's (the little ones) and 4x4 Ford Rangers used this wheel.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

I am contemplating going to a steel wheel also (6"). Someone stated on this forum a couple months ago that when using a steel wheel (and maybe also some of the aftermarket chrome or aluminum wheels?) that the center hole needs to be the correct size to mate with the Stude hubs so that the weight is supported correctly and not just by the nuts. So...........what about these Chrysler or F**d wheels? Do they have the correct size center hole, or is that a given in the engineering world if the bolt pattern is 5-4 1/2" dia.? And are all the "fancy" wheels adequately supported by the acorn style nuts alone and does the center diameter thus not matter on THOSE wheels? A good wheel and tire store could answer this question also, but I'm not sure I have access to a good shop to ask. Thanks for the help.

wagone

Comment

Several different Ford, Jeep, Mopar, AMC and many others will work. A quick search will turn up many specific year/make/model recommendations.

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Several different Ford, Jeep, Mopar, AMC and many others will work. A quick search will turn up many specific year/make/model recommendations.

PackardV8
          Packard, I've spent at least 4 hours doing searches on this. Your generic info above is really no help, I asked for specific models to cut the search time down!!
          I was going thru a pile of old rims I have when I picked one up that looked like it just might work. It was a 15x6" ford rim off of I don't know what model-- put it on the hub and it was exactly what I was looking for, cleared the disc brake set up without going to a 7"+ rim. Now the salvage yard is going to try and come up with a match so I know what model to look for next time.
          When I find out I will post it for others.
          64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

My apologies I didn't answer your question about the Bronco wheels. The point was to offer options. Identifing only one of the many, many different 15x6" wheels which will fit a Stude may not help if it is not in stock at the wheel shop or wrecking yard.

This happened recently when someone asked what wheels I had on my Avanti. I told him '68 Ford Galaxy. He went to the wrecking yard and asked for that specific make, model and year. It wasn't in stock. I went back with him and found some Mopar wheels which fit just fine. Knowing there are dozens of interchanges out there expands the options. Here are a few I have used and know work:
            65-72 Ford
            70-79 Thunderbird
            71-80 Torino
            83-92 Ranger
            94-on Mustang
            71-80 Dodge 1/2t trucks and vans
            80-on Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler, Commanche, Grand Cherokee

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Maybe some useful info here: http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/steelrims.txt

I look forward to what the salvage yard comes up with.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
              Packrat junk collector
              '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone
                ...that the center hole needs to be the correct size to mate with the Stude hubs so that the weight is supported correctly and not just by the nuts.
                That would be a "hub centric" wheel. Most new cars are that way, GM back to at least 1965, even Studebaker M16 trucks, but I don't believe Studebaker post war passenger cars were "hub centric". The wheel centered up using the lug nuts.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick. As always, answers are great. Thanks also to Thomas.

wagone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Here are a few I have used and know work:
                    65-72 Ford
                    70-79 Thunderbird
                    71-80 Torino
                    83-92 Ranger
                    94-on Mustang
                    71-80 Dodge 1/2t trucks and vans
                    80-on Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler, Commanche, Grand Cherokee

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    Now that's good info!
                    Thanks
                    I know that the hub I now have is not "hub centric". Also have the axle conversion with flanged axles and disc brakes and the axle
                    center does not protrude out far enough for the wheel to center on it anyway.
                    64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

The wheel, NWRA# X40273 has been out of production for quite some time now. You'll probably have better luck at your local "Pull-A-Part" or similar wrecking yard. To save yourself a lot of trouble down the road, if the car you find with correct wheels has a free spinning front, check all 4 wheels for being bent.[xx(] Don't make the mistake of buying them without checking, only to find a bent one AFTER you've gone to the time and trouble of cleaning and painting and getting the new tire mounted and balanced.[B)] Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                      Auburn, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

The salvage yard wheels were off an 85 Ford Crown Vic. They were 15x6.5 with a 4 1/8" back spacing. The ford wheel I had found was 15x6 with 4" BS. One of the junkers was rusted pretty bad. So I am going to try a find a nicer set that is 15x6. The 15x6.5 size would work. According to what I can find on the net, the 15x6 was used on the 77-79 Ford CVic.

53commander HDTP
                        53 Champion HDTP
                        61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                        64 Champ long bed V8
                        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

The salvage yard wheels were off an 85 Ford Crown Vic. They were 15x6.5 with a 4 1/8" back spacing. The ford wheel I had found was 15x6 with 4" BS. One of the junkers was rusted pretty bad. So I am going to try a find a nicer set that is 15x6. The 15x6.5 size would work. According to what I can find on the net, the 15x6 was used on the 77-79 Ford CVic.

53commander HDTP
                          53 Champion HDTP
                          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                          64 Champ long bed V8
                          Remember that same year Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town car 15' wheels share the same bolt pattern as the big Ford from 1979-91 (1980-90 Lincoln). And too I believe that some of 1992+ versions will work as well.
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

What do you guys think about the model 64 wheel vintique model below on the 55 champion sedan with whitewalls and baby moons?
                            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

That wheel has a 4 in. backspace, on our post somewhere on here Dick S. gave the correct one, I think that one will not clear the rear wheelwells and look too close to the fenders.

The wheel you choose has a lot to do with what the car looks like. What Color? This is not a C/K, long n low, it's a tall Sedan, so depending on how radical you customize it, some wheels would look good, others NOT! We can't see the car, so pretty hard to tell. anyway it's all about personal preference anyway!

My own is: Whitewalls NEVER belong on custom or chrome wheels! Only raised white letter blackwalls look correct on any kind of shinny alloy, wire or chrome wheel or as a second choice blackwalls. The reason I feel that way is, that it is a clash of two totally different themes, Racer and Cruiser and in the day that did not happen, only on OVERDONE custom streetrod showcars, not REAL street driven cars!

The Whitewalls look best on painted stock steel wheels with small caps or with nice looking Wheelcovers, otherwise it looks like a Pimpmobile!
                              Just one guy's opinion, I like the '60's racer look, some people prefer the '50's rat-rod look, and they are entitled to do that! [^]

Also remember that the cars most of us drove, were always 5-10 years older than a current year car, so '60's driven cars were usually mid to late 50's with a '60's theme!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X