No announcement yet.

Recomendation on roll cage kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Recomendation on roll cage kit?

Anybody have any experience putting a cage in a 54 studebaker coupe? I see lots of cars with cages, but no kits listed online. Anybody have a vendor they like?

Home made.
    All Stude's have the same basic body dimensions. When I was looking, none were made that fit tightly to the body of the car. Way too far inboard of the inner body lines.
    A friend and I bought a cheap hand bender and built a complete, bumper to bumper NHRA legal, roll cage for my 60 Lark wagon. Want attachment points, my Lark has, 14 roll cage weld points, from cage to frame.
    Will post a link when I get home.

Mike

Comment

Oval track stock cars will use 1-3/4" diameter tubing, .095" wall thickness as a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper View Post
        Anybody have any experience putting a cage in a 54 studebaker coupe? I see lots of cars with cages, but no kits listed online. Anybody have a vendor they like?
        It has been over a decade since I had any contact with a race chassis builder. I have always been a race fan, but not to the extent of memorizing, learning, and retaining knowledge of building details down to engineering & safety specs. At that time, I sold all types of spray booths, curing ovens, and finishing systems. First time I was asked to demo an electrostatic system for a NASCAR team, I was asked to paint a "Chassis." I showed up expecting to spray a basic car frame. Stupid me...it turned out that what they called a "chassis," was mostly a complete car, less wheels, engine, windshields, etc.

The local race chassis builder, was similar. None of these were anything like the ones used in true vintage cars. Perhaps, you could contact a local track, and find who builds contemporary chassis. There is a chance someone has the knowledge and skill to build one that meets current rules and could pass inspection. In addition, if there is a member of the appropriate "Vintage Racer Organization," for what you are building, they should be able to set you on the right path.

What ever happens, please keep us updated. It sounds like a fun project to me.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here's what I did to my Lark wagon -

It really is fairly easy, just very time consuming.
          Unfortunately, too many projects and this ones last in line to be finished.

Mike

P.s. - Double click on the pictures to upsize them.

Comment

Cool wagon! Looks fun.

Comment

Always custom made to the specs of the relevant racing association. Hard to imagine a "kit" for a C-K, but who knows?

Comment

I sincerely hope you never need to use it - and hope it is there if you need it.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X