No announcement yet.

fuel gauge/sender unit issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We no longer use Cork floats on our Studebakers, all the New Senders have the improved Plastic floats and we install Ford Brass Floats to replace the Obsolete Sinking Cork Type Floats on any NOS senders that still work.

You have'ta be careful of the "Non-SDC Studebaker" Sites, you can get a lot of Generic, Obsolete or Brand "X" info at "some"!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Think he was referring to the cork GASKET.
      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      We no longer use Cork floats on our Studebakers, all the New Senders have the improved Plastic floats and we install Ford Brass Floats to replace the Obsolete Sinking Cork Type Floats on any NOS senders that still work.

You have'ta be careful of the "Non-SDC Studebaker" Sites, you can get a lot of Generic, Obsolete or Brand "X" info at "some"!
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Soaking a cork gasket in water is to make the cork expand, or to make the cork more flexible. Otherwise I wouldn't stick a cork gasket in water. I cut my own sender gasket from a cork/rubber combination, and when I removed the sender a year later, the cork wrinkled up, and I had to make another new gasket.

I'll likely be removing the sender on my 50 Land Cruiser to check it out, as it registers much lower than the actual fuel level. If the cork float is bad, then I'll replace it with the new style float, and I'll cut a new gasket for the mounting.

Comment

Working...
        X