2R16A Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 2R16A Master Cylinder

While doing my engine swap, I replaced one of the steel lines that had been attached to the frame, meaning I had to bleed brakes.

Couldn't get a decent pedal, and pulled the boot off the MC to find a leak, and no doubt also discovered where air was getting sucked back in.

See plenty of half ton MC's for sale with one inch bore. Anyone know if my 49 2R16A also has a 1 inch bore? I would look in the shop manual, but don't have it with me and wanted to order today if I can.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn

2R16A M/C has a 1.5" bore.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Wow! I think the one on there is 1 inch. Won't a 1.5 greatly increase the amount of pedal pressure?

Comment

No, it will give you more volume, but less pressure.

Comment

..........Less line pressure unless you apply more pedal pressure.....
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Yes, more volume means you have to push harder to get the same stopping power.

Had no luck finding a 1.5 inch MC. Got home and just checked the manual and it says 2R15, 16 and 17 are 1.25 inch bore.

The one on there may very well be 1.25 inch. I did not measure, just looked up from the floor with the boot peeled back while brake fluid dripped.

Comment

Cheapest one I can find so far is $255. Anyone have a source with a better price?

I COULD rebuild this one, but suspect the bore is pitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                Cheapest one I can find so far is $255. Anyone have a source with a better price?

I COULD rebuild this one, but suspect the bore is pitted.
                I may have an NOS one. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.
                Bo

Comment

Much appreciated Bo. Almost named my oldest boy Bo.

Comment

674461 is the Studebaker part number of the one you need. A search on the part number often finds one out there hiding on a vendors shelf
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks for the part number Milt. Found this as a result: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-M...5YOgYf&vxp=mtr

Black paint looks very thick. Or is that thick cosmoline? Price looks good.

Comment

Thanks for the part number Milt. Found this as a result: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-M...5YOgYf&vxp=mtr

Black paint looks very thick. Or is that thick cosmoline? Price looks good.
                        You should hit the BIN button, because Milt has a very, very, very good price for it.
                        Bo

Comment

Done. Thanks guys.

Comment

Had no luck finding a 1.5 inch MC. Got home and just checked the manual and it says 2R15, 16 and 17 are 1.25 inch bore.
                            You're right -- I read the wrong column in my later shop manual. Both the 2R-series 1.5 and 2-ton trucks were 1.25" bore. Beginning in 1956, the 2-ton trucks went to 1.5" bore.
                            Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                            X