Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• azer133
    replied
    Thanks for the help! I just found out the t96 I was looking at does have a over drive it's all complete to! I guess my only question is will the over drive transmission be the same length as the non overdrive one ? It looks like the tail housing is shorter not sure I haven't measured it will I have to have the drive shaft worked to make it fit ?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Just say'in, the Overdrive will save your Engine, it's the same T-96 with the O.D. Tail Housing easily available and cheap Engine Insurance.

With a 3.73 Rear Axle, IF that is what you have, you will have to keep it under 65 MPH or overheating will occur.

Leave a comment:

• azer133
    replied
    it's all stock the only only reason I'm looking to replace my gear box is because mine is trashed first gear/reverse has multiple teeth broken 3rd pops out of gear, and the tail housing has a crack going almost all the around the base of it. I found locally a 3 speed in good shape out of a 60 model for cheap. All I need is for it to bolt up to my bellhousing. Even if I have to have the drive shaft modified thats fine. Not worried about the gearing either. And yes I'm almost positive the 60 model doesn't have a over drive. I just wasn't for sure if the the gear box and tail housing was the same or not

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You could simply look up the Low and Second Gears in the '59 to '64 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog to see if they are a match, because the '63 Overhead Valve Six had 112 HP vs only 90 for the '60 Lark Flathead Six, so with the 22 HP increase, they may have used Higher gears.

But that should not be a deal breaker, it should fit and work fine, both should be the Long Tail type for the slip yoke single Piece Driveshaft.

However if it were me doing this, if the '60 replacement is not an Overdrive T-96, I would RUN the other way, no improvement in the higher speed Engine RPM's that kill the Cylinder Head on these OHV Sixes.

Are you still running 3.73 or Lower Gears in the Differential?

Leave a comment:

• azer133
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: 60 lark transmission

60 lark transmission

Quick question is a 3 speed manual out of a 60 lark the same as a 63 lark 3 speed ? Both are 6 cylinders. Needing a new gear box for my 63 has the t96 without od found a 3 speed transmission out of a 60 lark in good shape don't know if it's the same t96 gear box in my 63
    or not.
    Thanks !
Working...
X