Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Rpm on D mode on 51 commander

Hi to all studebaker family
    I tuned the the 232 engine to 550 rpm on N, when I shift to D the rpm going down too much, the engine almost shut down.
    Any ideas way is it like that?
    Thanks
    Eyran from Israel

If you raise the idle rpm up to 600 does it still try to stall out the engine? Possibly a carburation problem, we must remember that todays fuels are much thinner,less specific gravity, to work with fuel injection systems. You may need to adjust idle speed and mixture screws to compensate,has any work been done to carb ? float levels? Lou Cote

Comment

It stall too much also on higher rpm , just cleaned the carb a few days ago, folat level is 39 mm, and the engine idle very smooth

Comment

Does the engine otherwise seem to have good normal power?

Does it accelerate well when you step down on it?

Comment

The '51 would have a Detroit Gear automatic, which has a lock up torque converter. Is it possible that the torque converter is staying locked up all the time and dragging the engine down?

Hopefully someone who has more knowledge about these trannys than me will provide some feedback.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I'm just amazed that a bullet nose is cruising around Israel!

Comment

I think that on this tranny on D the car start from 2nd gear, on L The car accelerate nicely, but i fell it can be better, i thing im getting too much resistance from the tranny

Comment

Originally posted by tsehisht View Post
                I think that on this tranny on D the car start from 2nd gear, on L The car accelerate nicely, but i fell it can be better, i thing im getting too much resistance from the tranny
                You are correct. But it should also accelerate nicely in D if you push the pedal to the floor. My '51 Commander automatic has no problem reaching 72 mph (116 kmph) in second before shifting to high.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If the torque converter clutch was locked up wouldn't the engine die when dropped in gear? had a 55 decades ago that acted like this.drained converter and trans and refilled with kerosene and let soak. drained and refilled twice and problem went away. info came from an Old Timer who went to school on early auto trans repair. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                    If the torque converter clutch was locked up wouldn't the engine die when dropped in gear? had a 55 decades ago that acted like this.drained converter and trans and refilled with kerosene and let soak. drained and refilled twice and problem went away. info came from an Old Timer who went to school on early auto trans repair. Luck Doofus
                    The engine won't even start in Park if the torque convertor is "locked-up".
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you doofus, interesting technique, let the kerosene soak for how long? Drain and Refill twice with oil or karosene?
                      Regards
                      Eyran

Comment

There are probably better products for this, it is a bit scary some of the old "Cures" the old timers came up with. do a pressure test and go through the diagnosis checks, may be a valve hanging in valve body. diagnosis is the key. Luck Doofus

Comment

Did some research in the really old manuals and sounds like a valve in governor section is hanging. add a good crud loosener to your trans fluid and drive it a while, something like Trans X will probably do the trick. follow directions on can. Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15007796_10154090331433589_1793773374_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1709989Click image for larger version

Name:	15044826_10154090331313589_1681527500_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1709990
                            to be honest, I don't know how many decades the ATF haven't been changed, I love the kerosene idea, just don't know if it will damage the old oil seals,
                            for how long did you soak it in? in the manual they say it can be governor valve or sticking direct drive clutch plate or piston.
                            eyran

Comment

Eyran, try just changing the atf in trans and converter. seems like there is a plug on converter, possibly top and bottom, removing both allows easier draining of converter. not sure what type products are available to you but quiz kamzak he is pretty good with lube info.next time i head to FLAPS i'll look around for a particular type,i'm on a first name basis with lots of counter types as i once worked in a FLAPS. dont kerosene it yet just try to drive it and heat it up. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                              X