The new Idaho Potato commercial for 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Idaho Potato commercial stretches credibility

Considering USA agricultural advances, I can accept they can grow a single potato large enough to be hauled on a lowboy semi trailer.
    What is unbelievable is that at the end, a Studebaker pickup would quit running.
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Well...there is a disclaimer in the commercial stating that the guy in the truck is a "real potato farmer." Obviously...not a seasoned Studebaker driver. Otherwise, he would have, by now, been experienced in proper adjustment of the overdrive kick-down switch. You know...it is suppose to allow only a "momentary" cut-off of the ignition circuit to enable it to kick it down out of overdrive. Instead, this one must be adjusted to just where it cuts the blasted thing off! (My story and I'm sticking to it.)

The only other thing I can think of...
      is that one of his "corn farmer" buddies sabotaged his efforts with that sorry corn juice spiked gas!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

As stated right on the truck...Its real. I saw it with my own eyes cruising down I-80!

Its very eye-catching!
        Last edited by Lothar; 10-22-2015, 06:32 PM.
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Merged the similar discussions

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
            Merged the similar discussions
            Now how about moving from Stove Huggers?

You can't much more 'Stude-related' than this one!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Now how about moving from Stove Huggers?

You can't much more 'Stude-related' than this one!

Craig
              Something happened yesterday that made me want to share it with you folks. It is about the effect the "TATER" commercial is having regarding Studebaker trucks. However, when I looked for the current thread on the subject, it was buried... Nowhere to be found on my monitor. Instead, somehow, someone has dug up a two year old "zombie" thread. The result is that by ignoring the current discussion, and contributing to the old one...the conversation becomes fragmented.

Now...to yesterday. My wife and I made a little foray to a nursery so she could choose some cool weather fall plants for our front porch. As folks who know me might imagine, this was no "wet your pants with excitement" excursion for me. So...while she became engrossed in picking out the perfect "Mums" for the concrete urns that sit on our front porch, I began to wander around. Then, there it was. A ragged old orphan of a yard wagon. Bent front axle, rust...ahem..."Patina" everywhere! Then, I noticed a small label had been slapped on one of the side wooden slats with a barely legible $25 written in pencil.

Once my wife pointed out the two "perfect" mums, (from a sea of hundreds) I dutifully chunked them on the counter. While she and the lady prattled on about the flowers...I blurted out..."I'll throw in an additional $20, for that old wagon!" "Sold!" Was the reply from the lady behind the counter. Almost simultaneously, my wife..."What!?" "How you gonna get it home?" Meaning..."You are not putting that dirty rusty thing in my Camry! Of course, the women stick together. The cashier said, "Yeah, how you gonna get it home?" I replied, "I live only a few miles away. In fact, I might just come pick it up in my Studebaker truck."

The lady's face lit up. "You mean one like the one in that Potato commercial?" "Same, except a different color." I replied. Then she added, "If you do that, I'll even help you load it. I love those trucks!" Less than an hour later, Jock (the poodle) and I, had pulled the truck out of the barn, had about a fourteen mile adventure, and were back home admiring my new restoration project. Lots of thumbs up along the way.

OH...and the flowers look fine too.

I'll add some pics when I get a chance. The "Like the one in the potato commercial," is a clear sign folks are taking notice.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Idaho potato Studebaker pickup

Any body know the owner?
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The truck was featured in Turning Wheels a few months ago.....................

Comment

The truck is owned by Steve and Diane Mortensen, of Boise Id.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Dumb question-

Why did the other (newer) thread get moved and not this one?

Better yet- why not merge the four or so into one...?

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
                        The truck was featured in Turning Wheels a few months ago.....................
                        And here----------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rcial-for-2015

Craig

Comment

hank you cheers jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks to Kobe Bryant and a few other celebrities, the Idaho Potato truck may stay on the road a little longer. Let's hope Steve and Diane's truck stays along for the ride!

Mark L

Comment

You know John, I'm still waiting on photos of that wagon!
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                                You know John, I'm still waiting on photos of that wagon!
                                Wow, Ron! Has it really been three years? Thinking about the time, I'm wondering if that was during the meltdown of "Photobucket," (trying to extort money from us) when we and lost access to our third party host site required for posting pictures in stovehuggers? Anyway, thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna post two pics. One will be of the wagon not long after I tinkered with the running gear, straightened out the front axle, and made it functional. Next pic will be of its final fate, as a hay feeder for my pet goats.

Since the feeder pic was taken, I had to upgrade the lid I made from an old piece of plywood, because the goats had begun to eat the top. It is still about the same except the top is now covered with a piece of sheet metal. Sorry about the size of the pics. Since the switch to Imgur hosting site, I don't quite have the sizing feature worked out. I went back and reduced the size of the pics by four, but they still come out big.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                                John Clary
                                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                                X