X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Don'tcha wish Golden Hawk engines...

...had been available in President Classic sedans? If they had been:

Neat car! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Very nice.
    For some reason I was thinking of putting a Packard engine in a '56 President sedan. That would have been interesting too.
    Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 08-08-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah.

I've been fortunate enough to ride once in a real F-code Thunderbird, and it was awesome. That setup in a full-size sedan is just right for making LA-to-Vegas in about 3.5 hours

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Is there a fitment issue or did Stude just not want to do it?

Comment

Ya and Who knows,maybe the President would of been able to take that Ford
          Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          ...had been available in President Classic sedans? If they had been:

Neat car! BP
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

They could have easily bought a Packard of the same year (only)!

Craig

Comment

Sounds like a perfect match of 1957s for PSMCD - "F-code" vs. Packard Clipper.
              Period road tests might present comparative performance figures?
              I can't imagine car magazines passing up the opportunity to test supercharged anything!
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

I'd drive one.
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As Craig implied, a 1957 Packard Sedan is just that, a Golden Hawk engine in a President Classic body.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, it would have added a lot of interest to Studebakers, to have not let that new big-block go to waste. Seeing that it was used in Nash & Hudson full sized cars, the next application could have been Studebaker Trucks & optional in Hawks, post 56 and up. The guy who is the 56j expert(or one of them)says the notion of the Packard engine being too heavy, was an overstatement. Most large V8's were heavy, back then; it wouldn't make much difference in a farm truck. Maybe it had some issues(oil pump), but so did the new Shivvy motor; and as we all know, they were mostly worked out.

Comment

Okay, Bob, just for fun get out your Standard Catalog and see what a strippo Packard Clipper sedan (no options), and a Ford Fairlane 500 with the 'F' code engine. PB radio, two-tone paint as per this example, and see what the price difference was between the two...

Craig

Comment

Uh... no! (the sedans were all "butt ugly" imho).
                        Last edited by Xcalibur; 08-08-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Okay, Bob, just for fun get out your Standard Catalog and see what a strippo Packard Clipper sedan (no options), and a Ford Fairlane 500 with the 'F' code engine. PB radio, two-tone paint as per this example, and see what the price difference was between the two...Craig
                          Craig, that's a great idea and I wish I could comply, but finding the original option cost of the F-code engine for 1957 Fords -even Thunderbirds- has proven elusive. I just spent about 15 minutes on the internet, including the excellent 1957 Ford-only site, and cannot determine the price of that option for sure. It is not among the few option prices listed in The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975, 4th Edition. It is not in any of the several "American V8" books I have here, either.

Meanwhile, the MSRP of a 1957 Fairlane 500 Fordor was $2,433, and the "regular" 312 engine option was $43 on top of that (not supercharged). Neither of those prices included an overdrive transmission, which was a $108 option.

HOWEVER, reading between the lines, here, I see that The Standard Catalog does list a "Custom Special Engine" Option at $439, which is expensive enough that it may be the F-code 312, although it doesn't say what that engine actually is.

So, if we add up a 1957 Fairlane 500 Fordor with overdrive and Custom Special Engine Option, it comes to $2,980, which sounds about right, exclusive of other options such as whitewall tires, radio, tu-tone paint, etc...

Meanwhile, the MSRP of a 1957 Clipper Town Sedan was $3,212. That would include Flightomatic or Overdrive. Ironically, the MSRP of the most expensive 1956 Clipper 4-door sedan, the Custom, was only $3,164! But Ultramatic Drive would have been an option on top of that. Still, in retrospect, it's a wonder they sold any 1957 Packards. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

How much would that same Ford be tricked out with all the options that
                            Packards came with as standard?
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

All I see is my old maid great Aunt's car that has a ludicrous price tag on it.
                              But that's just me...

Comment

Working...
                              X