Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, don't do this.......

if you're coming to Canada.

I feel badly for Kraig Jacobson, I do. The university student from Alpine, south of Salt Lake City, is stranded in Canada because down in Utah they apparently don't know you can't just bring your pistol across the border. Kraig … Continue reading

He could be getting an "extended" vacation!!

Terry

Being dishonest when first questioned is not an honest mistake. I don't care how fatigued he was; truth is truth and requires no investment.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Overall, I think Americans are probably the most stupid of all people when it comes to entering another country. We tend to think the rest of the world thinks and rules the way we do and so when we go there, nothing is different except the food.

Why don't we expect things to be different? Stand on our side of the border and ask an officer on the other side "can I do this over there?"

Comment

Once on a trip to visit the in-laws in Indiana in 2004, I was pulled over in Texarkana for doing 68 in a 65 zone. Everything checked out and the one of the last things the officer asked was "sir, are there any drugs or firearms in the vehicle?" I did not hesitate and responded, "yes sir, there is a firearm in the trunk," knowing that if I said "nope, nothing" they would search the whole vehicle (it was a rental). Just a few weeks before I had purchased the item below and was taking it to show my father-in-law. He was really big on firearms ever since he had been reloading for a local skeet club at the age of 17.

1916 Lee Enfield SMLE - bolt is the only thing not original to the rifle (cutlery above does not count )

Well, the policeman pulled the rifle out of the trunk (it was under some boxes and right up against the rear of the trunk - no way would I carry it inside the vehicle - just for the reason of what was happening then). He looked at it, worked the bolt, checked to see if it was loaded (some people are stupid enough to keep a round in the chamber) and then asked a dozen or so questions about it. Needless to say, he was so interested in the thing I kind of had to hint that I really wanted to get back on the road. He thanked me, put everything back where it came from and sent me on my way.

Possession of certain items requires great responsibility on the owners part - my Grandfather told me that the first time I held a gun at about the age of 10.
        Last edited by 62champ; 08-23-2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Well....
          you can get into trouble as an American trying to conceal that you have firearms entering Canada.
          you can get into trouble as a Canadian trying to conceal that you have Kinder Surprises entering the US. <gg>

Different countries have different rules as to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Just kidding a bit...but you WILL get in trouble with those Kinder Surprises though. Happens all the time. Ignore of the law is no excuse! <GGG>

Comment

Back in the days when My brother and I had our trucking business, we sometimes had to deliver into Canada. Our experience was thet the Canadian border personnel were more polite and professional than their American counterparts. We always seemed to get better treatment getting out of America than getting back in.

For safety purposes, we carried Pee jugs in our sleepers to use if we needed to "go" in remote locations, dark parking lots, in those unknown places during the middle of the night. We urged our hired drivers to do the same. There are horrible horror stories of Truckers being beaten, robbed, and even murdered when accosted in such a vulnerable time. Anyway...it was almost comical how quick a border inspection would end when the agent discovered our "Pee" jug...especially, if they touched it before asking what it was!

Almost always, it was a quick exit, "have a good trip sir"...and you were on your way.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I was detained at the border while on my way to a camping trip to WA. Turns out you can't bring oranges across the border. Ironically, they were imported from CA. Go figger!
              sigpic
              Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
              41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

I have the carbine version of that rifle; much shorter, with a conical flash hider at the muzzle. Commonly known as a "jungle carbine". Noisy, it is.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                  if you're coming to Canada.

I feel badly for Kraig Jacobson, I do. The university student from Alpine, south of Salt Lake City, is stranded in Canada because down in Utah they apparently don't know you can't just bring your pistol across the border. Kraig … Continue reading

He could be getting an "extended" vacation!!

Terry
                  There are signs at every border inspection station when entering Canada that clearly state that bringing firearms across the border is prohibited. Perhaps the message to be learned here is the driver must pay attention and read.
                  Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                    Kinder Surprises
                    Had to Google that one!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It is much safer to carry a firearm in TEXAS than in Canada, Mexico, & Massachusets.
                      The officer in Texarkana just asked about guns & drugs when he saw your out of state plates. Texas Police know that Texans are too smart to disclose such info and know that it is nobody's business.
                      Be aware that you can go down if you borrow a car and the owner left any kind of prescription medication in it, too.
                      Here is another hint: If driving through TN, and you are pulled over, do not tell the cop you are carrying any money unless you want to lose it.
                      Tyrants don't just want you defenseless, they want all of your money also.
                      Last edited by showbizkid; 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM. Reason: inflammatory language removed

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        Being dishonest when first questioned is not an honest mistake. I don't care how fatigued he was; truth is truth and requires no investment.
                        X2.

What is it about breaking the law and lying about it that would excuse this behavior?
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Perhaps the fellow regarded the right to keep and bear arms a universal right of all free people, one which is supposed to be guaranteed under the Bill of Rights of his own government, and did not recognize any right on the part of any tyrant to usurp his right. He was not carrying the gun with any criminal intent, so it was a victimless "crime". I would not personally pack a gun into a jurisdiction in which basic rights of free men are abridged, but what would America's founders, or MLK or Gandhi have done in the face of tyranny? How would we feel about an American who was caught carrying a Bible or Torah into an Islamic or Communist country?
                          "An armed person is a citizen, a disarmed person is a subject"
                          Last edited by TX Rebel; 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Well said, Tex. You really are a Rebel. I'm with you 100%...but if I decide to visit Canada...my pistol is stay'n home!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hey Barry - cut it out. I've already deleted one of your posts from this thread and edited another. You know the Forum rules about politics. Keep it up and I'll bounce you for a week.

And by the way, how rude! If you don't agree with Canada's laws, that's just fine. But when you go into someone else's house, you abide by their rules, right? I imagine when folks visit your home, you expect them not to start badmouthing Jim Bowie and the 2nd Amendment.
                              Last edited by showbizkid; 08-23-2012, 07:27 PM.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X