Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 07-19, 1947 Crosley pickup

Craig

I'll bet the champion six with 3sp/od I just took out of my truck would make a hot rod out of that little truck.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I have always loved these little trucks. My uncle had one for many years and I was promised that one day it would be mine. Never got the truck be do have the title that I was given upon my uncle passing. Now all I have to do is find a truck to go with the title

Comment

I own one, but it would never be able to go out into Todays Traffic. Very Primitave.
        As for putting a Champ six into one it wouldnt fit without a torch, and not too sure it would out power the OHC 4, they used these engines in Midget Racing and they would turn in excess of 10,000 RPMs
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The IH dealer in my home town took on the Crosley line after WW II. He purchased 2 truckloads of them. He had so much trouble selling them he had to force people purchase a Crosley in order to get a new IH tractor.
          73, Jim
          Last edited by 9echo; 07-19-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

2 Truckloads? About 40 then?

Comment

Can a truck be : CUTE?!?
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                I own one, but it would never be able to go out into Todays Traffic. Very Primitave.
                As for putting a Champ six into one it wouldnt fit without a torch, and not too sure it would out power the OHC 4, they used these engines in Midget Racing and they would turn in excess of 10,000 RPMs
                If I remember correctly, yours was in that building in your back yard when I visited your place.

Speaking of putting a Studebaker 6 in it. Even if you could make it fit, would the suspension hold it?

I remember seeing a few of these on the road back around 1951 (first grade) to 1953. My memory is that they looked very fragile and people often made fun of them.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If 2r5 and M owners think their ride is rough.....Just imagine the cramped quarters of a Crosley.

Very cool, little trucks, real attention getters.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Well, you could race one with the 44 cu.in. Crosley engine. This picture was taken at Maxton. The little pickup has actually set some records. I don't know exactly what its fastest speed has been but I do know it is close to 80 mph.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Jim, If memory serves me, they had 8 on a truck. They were very tightly packed.
                      73, Jim

Comment

This one was at Automania in Sioux Falls earlier this summer. The pearl paint really looked wild in the sun.

I've been meaning to send this pic to Brent (Milaca), but as a Crosley owner, I'm sure he'll see this thread!

Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

In the late 40's during a school trip I recall going by the factory in Marion, IN and there were many parked awaiting shipment. Years later a car friend and I were discussing the Crosley and he said it was made in Richmond, IN and I said it was made in Marion. We later learned we were both right.
                          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                            I've been meaning to send this pic to Brent (Milaca), but as a Crosley owner, I'm sure he'll see this thread!
                            Great looking trucks, or are they cars with a bed? Much like a Ranchero or El Camino but nearest in size to a Dodge Rampage or Subaru Brat of the 1980's I guess.
                            Speaking of Crosley's, I just purchased a set of four new 4.80 x 12.00 tires (boat trailer tires) for my 1950 Crosley Super sedan. I asked for American made tires at my hometown service station but all he handled in that size was a Chinese manufacturer being that manufacturers like Good Year no longer makes such tires in that size. I paid $40 a piece (including mounting and new valve stems, did away with inner tubes) as compared to B.F. Goodrich replica tires from Coker for $165.00 a piece. If or when I finally finish restoring the "hootmobile", I may decide to splurge for the whitewall Coker tires but until then, the boat trailer tires will suffice. If or when I finally make some progress on the car, I might post pics of it here.
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                              If or when I finally make some progress on the car, I might post pics of it here.
                              Oh, shucks, go ahead and share... I wanna see it!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X