Wish I had access................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I had access................

So I am quite envious of those members who have their Studebaker's in a home garage, where one can get instant access to utilize or effectuate repairs. When one has to garage his Stude in a garage far from ones domicile, it is quite depressing at times, and has one sullen at other times. I can assure you if I lived in a home with a garage I would be in the Avanti most of the time, save for rain, or snow or below zero temps. So to all those that have their Studes in a home garage, I salute you:-)

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    So I am quite envious of those members who have their Studebaker's in a home garage, where one can get instant access to utilize or effectuate repairs. When one has to garage his Stude in a garage far from ones domicile, it is quite depressing at times, and has one sullen at other times. I can assure you if I lived in a home with a garage I would be in the Avanti most of the time, save for rain, or snow or below zero temps. So to all those that have their Studes in a home garage, I salute you:-)
    What in the world is this all about? Now, not only people who sell parts at market value are bad, but also people with garages??
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

What in the world is this all about? Now, not only people who sell parts at market value are bad, but also people with garages??
      Sir I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and what has sadly gotten your pants into a tizzy. Are you sure you are ok???

Comment

Thanks for the salute maybe you should be surfing Zillow for house with garage .Just a thought

Comment

Concur r1lark. Another poor, woe was me, disparaging post by Hawklover.

Comment

Mmm... it actually can get worse than having to utilize an off site garage; at least your car is sheltered from the weather and thus protected from the degradation that comes with outdoor parking. Back when I could afford it, and back when such cars were still quite affordable... I passed on a Delorean because I had street parking only under a canopy of Maples in NW Montana (indoor storage only for the winter months), and the thought of having to scrub the sap they were continually crapping off of stainless all spring and summer didn't seem like it would be fun or beneficial to the car. And nope, they weren't sugar maples, so they had no use other than providing shade while raining stick junk all over the place.
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Hunter View Post
              Mmm... it actually can get worse than having to utilize an off site garage; at least your car is sheltered from the weather and thus protected from the degradation that comes with outdoor parking. Back when I could afford it, and back when such cars were still quite affordable... I passed on a Delorean because I had street parking only under a canopy of Maples in NW Montana (indoor storage only for the winter months), and the thought of having to scrub the sap they were continually crapping off of stainless all spring and summer didn't seem like it would be fun or beneficial to the car. And nope, they weren't sugar maples, so they had no use other than providing shade while raining stick junk all over the place.
              Tory, is it not amazing how something said in pure honesty and without any form of malice is turned on its ear? Maybe some folks can't be blamed for temporally being off their meds??

Comment

• Lark Hunter
                Lark Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a risk that comes with posting on a forum, or most other forms of social media. Same deal with SMS/text messaging. The reader doesn't see facial expressions, hear intonation, etc. This leaves enough out of the "conversation" that it can sometimes be hard to guess exactly what the other party is saying, or how they're saying it... both directions. Many of us tend to be a little more curt when we're behind a screen as well.

Its 50/50 for me. Ideally, if one does their own work, they require TWO garages, a 'dirty' garage and a 'clean' garage; the dirty one for welding, grinding, painting, etc., while having a clean garage for installing the nice new interior while wearing gloves, being careful not to scratch the shiny new paint, And an oil-free, clean floor that one won't have to worry about spotting the brand new carpet.

While my home garage is 10 steps from my back door, its my 'dirty garage' currently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4907.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2014011 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4911.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2014012

No way do I want my finished project near my work area while I grind and weld on the work-in-progress car. The finished project is currently in a museum on loan 40 miles away. Yes I wish it was closer, but the compromise is others get to see it on display; which would not happen when stored in a garage at one's residence.

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 12-15-2023, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Its 50/50 for me. Ideally, if one does their own work, they require TWO garages, a 'dirty' garage and a 'clean' garage; the dirty one for welding, grinding, painting, etc., while having a clean garage for installing the nice new interior while wearing gloves, being careful not to scratch the shiny new paint, And an oil-free, clean floor that one won't have to worry about spotting the brand new carpet.

While my home garage is 10 steps from my back door, its my 'dirty garage' currently. No way do I want my finished project near my work area while I grind and weld on the work-in-progress car. The finished project is currently in a museum on loan 40 miles away. Yes I wish it was closer, but the compromise is others get to see it on display; which would not happen when stored in a garage at one's residence.

Craig
                I heard a rumour that the finished product requires marble flooring wherever it resides...
                Evan Davis
                Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
                  I heard a rumor that the finished product requires marble flooring wherever it resides..
                  And in-floor heating!!

You will have to 'one-up' where it is now!!

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2014010

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 12-15-2023, 09:59 PM.

Comment

What's frustrating is having my '63 Avanti in the garage, just barely. I used to keep it in a 10,000 sq. ft. warehouse but now being retired it's in the home garage. I can just take very precise "baby-steps" around it and getting in and out of it in the garage takes the effort of a contortionist. We haven't made up our minds on moving, yet, but whatever house I buy next will have a three-car garage, or at the very least a very big two-car unit.

Comment

Years ago, all I had was street parking. Working on my car (then a daily driver) was rarely a joy. But I was a lot younger so no real complaints. Then I moved and had a carport. A major improvement. Still exposed to the cold, but again no real complaints. My wife and I moved to our current place about 27 years ago, and I became the proud owner of a 2 car garage - one side for my Studebaker (the same one that I worked on while parked on the street) and the other side for the man cave. Moral of my story: all things come in time. I do feel for the guys without a garage because I was there. Still not a show car (won't ever be one in my lifetime) but a very nice driver that looks great on the road. Just putting in my 2 cents.

Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

When I realized paying apartment rent every month was practically as much as would be a mortgage payment I started looking for a house.
                        At that time I already had two Studebakers and a '57 Cadillac. All three were drivers, but I could see, if I wanted to keep them, and improve them, I would need a place with at least a two car garage.
                        When I settled on one I was thrilled. But it had been built in the 1930s, and evidently had dirt floors in the basement and garage at the time. The owner had poured multiple concrete slabs in the garage in 1952 (his daughters' names and hand prints with the date were on one of the slabs). They were of various textures and had cracked and settled over the years. It was narrow, un-insulated and poorly lit, having only four bare incandescent bulbs, bare studs above were low and carriage type doors he made were just 2x6s around sheets of plywood. Still, a jackpot in my eyes after years of apartment living.
                        But one thing I didn't consider when owning a home was the space needed for a mower, snow blower, yard tools, work bench and the accumulated parts that are inevitable if one is to be an amateur mechanic. Always plan on buying a shed, or a house that already has one; otherwise very little will get done, stepping over yard equipment, or not banging a car door in to a spare rear axle, engine block or transmission.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I admit, having a garage does help, but wishing I had a bigger garage and a lift sure would help.

Name:	7261DA34-E3FE-43D2-B835-6D23830AA647.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2014047

Name:	1A1EE28B-A5BB-4612-A93B-B4042643FB72.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2014048

When you've got to turn your car around just to work on the other side....

"Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• rockne10
                            rockne10 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I can relate!

Roland,
                          I can certainly relate. When building my retirement home 12 years ago, I also put up a large shop 30 x 40 with a 16' ceiling. I am still trying to get it properly finished with another main door to provide access when I get a lift installed. This seems to be my biggest impediment as I can't play on my hands and knees anymore (I can get down, but up is another situation). Hopefully this coming year will gets things to fruition so I can get back to playing with my Studebakers.
                          Cheers,
                          Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X