No announcement yet.

Retirement piddling project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little more progress. As i said i was gonna put on a cheap master cylinder, and change it later. Reason being, the second design master cylinder and booster is what i am going to end up with if everything works out OK. Also got a new gas tank, and sending unit. It was hard to find a good seal for the filler tube. I finally found a new one at a dealer. New carburetor was found, and all new fuel lines. My Grandson and me done took a few test drives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0283 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2025440 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	2025441

Comment

Progress!!
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Making a little more progress on clean up. Got the trunk cleaned out ,( just a little), lacks a lot more. Did find a decent carpet and tire cover, amongst the nuts, junk, tools, parts and trash. The wiper links from the motor, to the transmissions were covered up in there, as well as the rear wheel brake parts, I was missing. A good cleaning and getting the carpet back to shape again, and I will say: good nuff. An here's another inside shot of cleaning.

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	2025573 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	2025574 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2025575 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2025576 ​​​​​​​

Comment

I mentioned earlier, that I replaced the carburetor. Got rid of all the network of leaking vacuum hoses and lines and the old Holley car. Let me tell ya, a Carter 4630 carb, is hard to find. Could be, cause it fits a 69 Dodge P/U. Anyway this little jewel, changed the way the Duster ran completely. After adjusting the valves(solid tappets ya know) and setting the timing again, we are about to hit the road. , I forgot a tag and insurance!

Name:	rs=w_600,h_600.webp
Views:	116
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	2025579

Comment

That should be a fun little car with the slant six and the 4 speed OD.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It's been a fun project so far. And to be honest, my Grandson and I, been cheating a little. We have been out on the highway, before the car was completely ready Of course he is only 14, and if we had got caught with him driving, we would have been in trouble even if we had a tag. We have been grounded a few days, because my Wife, and Daughter in law, caught us, on the highway, too far from home, with my Grandson driving. I'll post a few updates soon, including that new tag.

Comment

My Grandson and I are about to slip off and get a few more miles on the Duster! We got a tag . And we finished the brakes. The new master cylinder rusted from condensation fore i put it on good. O well we will touch it up. Got the new brake booster on and did a little cleaning under the hood. This is phase 0ne cleaning , with the before and after under hood shot.

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	2025941 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	2025942 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	2025943

Comment

Well we have driven now, up at speed, enough to know, there is a restriction in the exhaust. I suspected it was the muffler, and it was After a cutting it off, and a loud trip to t he muffler shop, the little duster has a new muffler and larger tailpipe, and a LOT more power. It is now spending more time outside the shop, than in.

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	2026046 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	2026047

Comment

Gee you really have coming a long way in short time, the way it looks now!

Comment

It sure looks a lot better cleaned up! It's a cool little car that you don't see that often. Aso a great project for the grandson to learn on.
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                      X