Studebaker and Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker and Covid

About 4 months ago David loaned me his truck, trailer, and brother Bill. We drove 5 hours to Sacramento to drop off my friend Doug's '53 K at tranny shop and then buy my 56 Power Hawk and haul it home. David is a clock/watch repairman and a car guy. He restores old tractors, 'hit & miss' engines, and has a 1927 Buick similar to one in attached picture.
    David died last night. He was 10 days in the hospital with Covid. He is my age-ish, strong as an ox, similar size too. Many of his wife's family got Covid recently: she lost taste buds for a few days, some in 80s had mild symptoms, some are in hospital now.
    I do not miss David at this time. I am in shock. But I expect I will soon... when the tears begin to flow.
    Rafe Hollister a.k.a Thom Boswell
    Attached Files

Rafe,
    Condolences sent your way. That truly sux to lose a close a close acquaintance who I'm sure was a stand-up guy. This virus is far from done with us and we all need to be vigilant in keeping ourselves safe.
    - take care and keep us posted

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to the family…Mike
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Likewise, my thoughts and prayers to you and his family Thom. I understand, I too have lost a couple friends to covid.

Comment

Thanks for heart felt condolences. Sorry for your losses, Bensherb. David and much of his extended family did not take Covid seriously, even having a 'mask free zone' sign in his store against county policy. His wife of just 4 years is blaming herself. A few others are blaming her also... I didn't know people could be so heartless. I have wondered in the past if people won't take Covid seriously as long as it is merely statistics and a news story. But now, for perhaps the few hundred people that know David and his family, it is a personal story. Like Dick said "be vigilant in keeping ourselves safe."

Comment

Number one thing to staying safe is get the shot. Got mine and only felt a little sick on the second one. From what I've heard that means your immune system is working. No side effects and even if I get Covid from everything I've heard my chances of dying from it are no more that dying from a car crash. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Comment

Sorry for your loss Thom. Hope you are doing well with the fires.
              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                Number one thing to staying safe is get the shot. Got mine and only felt a little sick on the second one. From what I've heard that means your immune system is working. No side effects and even if I get Covid from everything I've heard my chances of dying from it are no more that dying from a car crash. Sorry for the loss of your friend.
                I'm not sure about this. Still, we don't usually have complaints about seatbelts and they are known to save lives and they usually do. We need to take things seriously. The shots do lower our chances of getting the disease. Why take a chance? Rafe, I send my condolences.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Caution please - no politics in this post. Just fair warning.

Thank you.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Very sorry to hear of this loss, Thom

This whole pandemic has been a particularly surreal experience for most, if not all, of us. With it introducing us to things we've never really experienced in our lifetimes, then taking a strong political bent and unleashing a media frenzy the likes of which we've never seen before... this has definitely made the situation worse, more difficult to assess, target and fight. It's easy to become frustrated, and even question many things. The one thing that brings it all back into focus is when you lose a family member or friend. On this solemn note, thank you for sharing this.
                    Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Such events always give us pause.
                      Thanks for the heads up, Clark.

Please everyone get your vaccine. There's way too much priceless knowledge here to risk.
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

Working...
                      X