Hot Rod Wagons are cool again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Wagons are cool again

I have only owned a hand full of station wagons. Only one that I really liked and kept for nine years. That was our well equipped1963 Daytona Wagonaire. We even drove it the SDC International in South Bend one year.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Mostly always been cool as far as I'm concerned. I've owned El Caminos, coupes, sedans, but it seems that I always return to wagons.
      Three "project" cars currently.
      Well, seems the "system" won't let me show the third car, which is the one that I'm currently working on. I just put a vinyl "wrap" on the dash in place of my normal matte black paint. Looks like "cast" (not cloth) carbon fiber.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1316_edited1-th.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.6 KB ID:	1904927Click image for larger version  Name:	0065net-th.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.3 KB ID:	1904929

Mike
      Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 07-28-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I've been thinking about tackling one last build for myself, a high end Pro Touring car, defined as some vintage car appearing mostly stock but with the latest modern mechanicals, interior, and conveniences. I have been toying with cars from all brands as possible candidates. I haven't really narrowed it down much thus far; but I keep coming back to a station wagon as a common theme.

I haven't decided if I'm going to actually do it, but if I do I'm sure the car will reach out and grab me. And I'm betting that if it happens it will be a late 50s to mid-60s wagon.
        Last edited by Bob Andrews; 07-28-2021, 12:08 PM.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

My first car out of college was a Dodge Magnum R/T, the wagon version of the Charger/300. And i think the best looking of the three. Now as a guy pushing 40 (gross)... I'm honestly thinking about building a Magnum with a Hellcat engine or a 6.4L stroker pushing 500+ HP. Nothing is cooler than a hot rod wagon. A good friend of mine desperately wants an E63 AMG Merecedes wagon making 500 or more HP to haul his wife and future kids around. SUV's are ok, i have a Grand Cherokee and want a 90's or 00's Suburban. But wagon's are generally faster, handle better, have better centers of gravity, and are just different than what everyone wants now. To those in the wagon club, there really isn't much cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cole View Post
            But wagon's are generally faster, handle better, have better centers of gravity, and are just different than what everyone wants now. To those in the wagon club, there really isn't much cooler!
            I prefer sedan-based station wagons over higher SUV's and Crossovers.

Many manufacturers still offer a nice selection of them in Europe and Japan, compared to the very few offered in the US and even fewer in Canada. To me, its a money grab, with the profit margin being higher on SUV's than on wagons.

Craig

Comment

Profit grab and a misguided notion that a SUV’s higher seating position and visibility leads to a safer vehicle. Jaguar and Volvo make a really good looking wagon but I think Volvo expects so few wagon sells you Jane to special order it. It’s really too bad, I think it’s a real looker.

Comment

I've always loved wagons. The practicality of them really appeals to me. We always had wagons when I was a kid. I loved it when the Ramchargers campaigned a wagon back in the sixties with a spare tire filled with concrete. I have a 92 mercedes wagon in very excellent condition. I have been daydreaming of converting it to 500E power and such the last few days.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

A neat looking Nash Wagon I saw in Denver in 2009.

Comment

love the radio flyer!
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

If money wasn't a problem I would love to build a '59/'60 two door Lark wagon. I saw one at York one time that really fit the bill. Truck grill, R2 under the hood and much more. It was a two door car which I really liked. Oh well, we can always dream can't we.........
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cole View Post
                        My first car out of college was a Dodge Magnum R/T, the wagon version of the Charger/300. And i think the best looking of the three. Now as a guy pushing 40 (gross)... I'm honestly thinking about building a Magnum with a Hellcat engine or a 6.4L stroker pushing 500+ HP. Nothing is cooler than a hot rod wagon. A good friend of mine desperately wants an E63 AMG Merecedes wagon making 500 or more HP to haul his wife and future kids around. SUV's are ok, i have a Grand Cherokee and want a 90's or 00's Suburban. But wagon's are generally faster, handle better, have better centers of gravity, and are just different than what everyone wants now. To those in the wagon club, there really isn't much cooler!
                        Justin, I highly agree but then again I am prejudiced!
                        I own a 2008 (last production-approx 239) SRT 8 Magnum, 7000 original KM
                        Each of these dynoed at 467 HP the same as a 1966 Street Hemi(undoubtedly not a coincidence).
                        It is a terrific driving newer vehicle. In fact it is the only car I left bone stock. If you can find one, they are still out there and are reasonable because most people don't know about them.
                        It seems like everything I own (Studebakers, Packard, Avanti, SRT 8 Magnum) are all orphans.

A random comment on Mike's pics-When I click on the pics they actually reduce to a miniscule size.
                        Cheers,
                        Bill

Comment

Buzzard I’m seriously jealous!! One day I’ll get an SRT8 magnum. If I got an 05-07 I’d probably customize it. An 08?!? That’s the holy grail, it looks just that little bit cooler. I saw a regular grade 08 RT today and about lost it. I regretted trading my Magnum for a Challenger SRT8 almost
                          instantly. The 6 speed manual with the pistol grip shifter was awful. Enjoy your car!! And send me pics ❤️🥰🥰🥰🥰

Comment

Working...
                          X