• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    .... only cash talks when the electricity goes out
    Actually, that did happen to me in the bar one time when the power suddenly went out. Most everyone already had paid for their drinks in cash when they got served, but when the power was out for something like ten minutes or more with no evidence of it coming back on right away, the staff directed all the customers to 'drink up' and exit, where the staff then locked the doors, explaining it was security and liability issues as to why they had to take such action (No emergency lighting present in the halls or the washrooms). Turns out the power was off for a good two hours due to a fierce windstorm in the area.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    .... only cash talks when the electricity goes out

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    I got rid of my credit cards over a decade ago, and never looked back. Only once was cash refused (at first), but to make the sale the 3 salesmen made change for my stack of hundred dollar bills by going through all their wallets and desks.

Leave a comment:

• stall
    replied
    Originally posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
    I always have, and will continue to, carry a couple hundred dollars in cash with me. Why? Cash speaks to people in ways that credit cards and checks can't. I travel, a lot, for my work. I like to hit yard/garage/estate sales and for the most part they are cash only. As an example; a recent stop in metro Minneapolis I stopped at a yard sale and scored a Tasco night vision monocular for $25. And last month while in LA, I stopped at a "swap meet", known elsewhere as a flea market, and got a 50's vintage neon Schlitz beer light, that works, for $45. The asking price on both was higher, but when you're standing in front of someone with cash in your hand.......

As the old saying goes, "money talks and BS walks".
    Another reason in your location is Hurricans. In West palm beach during the Wilma storm, credit cards did not work for many days and buying anything required cash. All my "we only use the card" friends borrowed cash from me. They now keep some cash on hand. Just my experience,
    Murray

Leave a comment:

• bumpkinvilledano
    replied
    I always have, and will continue to, carry a couple hundred dollars in cash with me. Why? Cash speaks to people in ways that credit cards and checks can't. I travel, a lot, for my work. I like to hit yard/garage/estate sales and for the most part they are cash only. As an example; a recent stop in metro Minneapolis I stopped at a yard sale and scored a Tasco night vision monocular for $25. And last month while in LA, I stopped at a "swap meet", known elsewhere as a flea market, and got a 50's vintage neon Schlitz beer light, that works, for $45. The asking price on both was higher, but when you're standing in front of someone with cash in your hand.......

As the old saying goes, "money talks and BS walks".

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    And on the opposite side of the wonky scale...
    Our current local favorite restaurants' credit card gizmo broke.
    They have an ATM. So when a customer walks in they say 'cash only'...for now.
    But, they started giving a credit off your tab for the ATM service charge.

The world has gone nutz...
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post

Just a couple of weeks ago I was running a bunch of errands and had to kill 20 minutes before I stopped by a friend's open house so I swung into a Jimmie-Johns in a strip mall to grab a quick sandwich. That place only accepted credit cards. I thought it was a little weird.
    Maybe the staff doesn't know how to count change?

There are other places cash is not accepted, including gas pumps, some parking pay machines, etc. Even though the gas station itself may not be open certain hours, the pumps can still dispense fuel 24/7 with a credit card. And now that park pay machines which don't accept coins that have replaced the parking meter, the municipality no longer needs to employ a Lovely Rita Metermaid to go around to each individual meter and collect the proceeds.

And some banks have stopped accepting coins: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topst...ax4?ocid=ientp

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    I agree withe Clark AKA Shwobizkid in post #2. I am sure that I remember form a business law class, that I took in high school, that it was illegal to refuse to accept coin of the realm, when it is tendered for payment of a debt. It seems that if a customer offered cash in payment, and that was the only thing that he had, he would be within his rights to just walk away. Risking some form of physical confrontation might make walking away seem risky, but what is the customer supposed to do?

Leave a comment:

• BobWaitz
    replied
    Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
    I have always thought it was illegal to refuse US currency. After all, it is the nation's official legal tender.
    Just a couple of weeks ago I was running a bunch of errands and had to kill 20 minutes before I stopped by a friend's open house so I swung into a Jimmie-Johns in a strip mall to grab a quick sandwich. That place only accepted credit cards. I thought it was a little weird.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Good luck Clark. Up until 5 years ago we were way behind on collecting what we paid to our insurance companies. I can tell you in the last 5 years we would be broke with all the issues and medications Judy has gone through.

She's doing great but it took a fair amount of Doctors, Surgeons and medical knowledge to get her there. My two knee replacements added to the bill also.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Just today, I did an online registration for a doctor's appointment that I have tomorrow. It states that they take check or credit/debit card, but not cash.
    Doctors' offices are a world unto themselves. My wife has worked for a surgeon for over 30 years, and I can tell you tales.

This year, we opted out of the insurance system and went self-pay. You would not believe how blankly we are stared at when we tell the receptionist that we don't carry insurance and will pay the bill ourselves. Some of them literally don't know what to do. Others (a big lab testing company which I will not name) simply refuses to take patients without insurance - even though the rates they charge for self-pay are full price, and not knocked down by insurance adjustments. It's mind-boggling.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Just today, I did an online registration for a doctor's appointment that I have tomorrow. It states that they take check or credit/debit card, but not cash.

Leave a comment:

• stall
    replied
    Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
    As much as I like using cash I think it's too tempting for unscrupulous types. If i'm mugged for my cash the perp will probably get away with it. If I'm mugged for my debit or credit card the perp knows he more than likely can't use it. For that reason I rarely carry cash.
    My son in law is in law enforcement and thinks that if you're mugged and the guy gets a quick $50 bill he'll probably just run away. He has seen many cases where the victim resisted or had no quick cash and got hurt. Most muggers are using dope and not entirely rational in my opinion.
    Murray

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    I'm getting to the point where I sometimes wonder about cash.
    Now that it's a Federal Reserve Note rather than a silver or gold certificate, it's really nothing more than a paper check drawn on the stability and good word of the United States, which is $21,000,000,000,000 in debt.
    I miss the days when we could pay for the doctor's visit with a couple of chickens or a promise to fix his roof.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
    As much as I like using cash I think it's too tempting for unscrupulous types. If i'm mugged for my cash the perp will probably get away with it. If I'm mugged for my debit or credit card the perp knows he more than likely can't use it. For that reason I rarely carry cash.
    I do know many apartment landlords/management companies only accept personal check or money order for that reason. (The rents they're charging in bigger cities these days, I can sure see why!)

Craig

Leave a comment:

Working...
X