Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Avanti/LS3 finished engine compartment pic--update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti/LS3 finished engine compartment pic--update...

Three months to the day after slipping the engine back in "for keeps." I installed the aluminum covers over the now obsolete intake hole in the right fender-liner and "locked" the three grotesque GM computer connectors in place... both of which I'd saved for the final step before declaring everything directly engine/engine compartment related complete. So, apart from the set of black aluminum covers that completely hide all the crappola on the cowl, this is it.

I now have to finish fabricating the exhaust, put the 5-speed/drive-shaft to the XKE IRS back in, and... come up with a speed signal the GM computer can live with. We'll see if Dakota Digital's idea works! Finally, add coolant, 9x octane, then take it to a local LS engine guy to tune out the rear O2-sensors. There was absolutely no room to install the 4 cats, the fronts of which were "required" per GM to be located exactly where the bell-housing cross-member resides... and they are NOT small ones.

Who knows, maybe, just maybe it will be back on the street before spring--if workable weather holds!!! It could happen...
    Attached Files

WOW! That is a piece of art. I can not fathom how many hours went into all that, not mentioning the cost. Just beautiful.

Mark

Comment

Now that is the definition of "busy" under the hood! I do like how cleanly you did the air intake, everything very nicely done.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What a project!....Fantastic!

Comment

There's a whole lotta cool under that hood

Comment

Bewdiful,
            I hope to do the same thing to a spare Avanti body and frame I have.
            Keep all the details on sumps, mounts etc for others behind you.
            Is the 5 speed a manual or auto.
            pb

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Many thanks for all the kind words. Yes, I could write a book... or at least a pamphlet. And, because I've been "required" to email regular updates to an away friend I've taken pix of absolutely everything along the way. I've certainly learned a LOT. Every step I've tried to have at least one or two back-up plans in case of insurmountable obstacles. I have had, and taken, the time to do things over if necessary or if they simply did not suit me. I admit on one occasion remaking the same aluminum clamp three times, then going back to the original and altering/finishing it. And, I HATE doing the same thing twice, but that was the contract with myself on this one--do it to suit or not at all. Anyway, at this point there's, fortunately, very little I'd do differently.

Since the air-intake was mentioned I'll post a couple pix here of where it goes. And, as for the 5-speed, it is a T-5 manual from an earlier Camaro/Firebird, which I've used for a long time. I preferred it over the Ford T-5 which others have opted for (e.g., Malcolm Berry) since the shifter is slightly farther back and fits nicely into the stock Avanti shifter hole--though I did cast a new fiberglass cover deleting the ashtray.

I admit that I'm starting to get pretty excited... I've been at this on my own for quite some time. I did--for just a moment or two--considered sticking on a pair of temp, shorty exhaust pipes with tip-downs just to get it fired but I know I'll want to "turn wheels" immediately afterward, so I'll wait until all is back together properly.

(Regarding the air-intake system, I'm still thinking about adding a 4" aluminum elbow into the radiator intake area, but I'll wait to confirm engine cooling efficacy first before "sucking" off any of that flow. And, my distant friend is ragging me to swap out the black zip-ties on the throttle-body intake elbow that retain the MAF sensor line under the elbow for polished stainless. So, I'll probably do that. He has, at least, quit hassling me about not polishing and chroming... everything. )
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Xcalibur; 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

X,....I wondered if the '63 Avanti you're working over was originally a four-speed car?

Comment

SN-60... yes, it was originally a 4-speed car, on which I opted to maintain the entire Studebaker clutch linkage assembly (with the ol' "John Bill" improved connector/adjuster shown). Of course, the entire project would have been facilitated and simplified immensely if one were content to use a modern auto tranny.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Xcalibur; 11-29-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                      SN-60... yes, it was originally a 4-speed car, on which I opted to maintain the entire Studebaker clutch linkage assembly (with the ol' "John Bill" improved connector/adjuster shown). Of course, the entire project would have been facilitated and simplified immensely if one were content to use a modern auto tranny.
                      Very, very nice work I must say.

Comment

Your comments are certainly appreciated, SN-60. I'm working on the mandrel bent 2-1/2" exhaust, but the winter temps have slowed me down. That's about all that's left at the moment... assuming Dakota Digital goes into production of their newest version GPS speed-generator this month, as they earlier projected when I ordered one to drive the engine computer some time ago.

Comment

Well, after another few mods I THINK, apart from installing the left and left-center cowl-covers, this is finally it--again. I was going to wait until those covers are on but I thought, "Ah, what the heck."
                          Attached Files

Comment

Amazing how many times one can THINK he's done, but finally it is up and running, wheels back on, and ready for the street. I had to make some minor changes in the engine compartment--sort of like "Find the Differences" in children's books. For example, I had to reroute the steam-line from the engine to the cooling system and I FINALLY put the cowl covers back on the hide a lot of electrical crappola. It's now ready for the 30 mile initial road sequence the GM engine manual suggests and then the dealer crank-sensor relearn process (who knows what or why, but the engine came with a coupon for the dealer to do gratis). Then, to my tuners to dial-out the rear two O2-sensors, since I omitted the four cats included in the E-rod "kit." The primary cats were supposed to go exactly where the Stude bellhousing cross-member is located... and they are BIG. No way.

YES, and FINALLY the hood goes back on next!!! FINALLLLLLY!!! I hope the latches are back where they started so it will open again, too!

NOW, I'm done with this thread... Really... R E A L L Y !!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

First class, post a few shots of the overall build when you can, thx, Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X