My New '59 Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New '59 Silver Hawk

Got it last month for my 53rd birthday. In this condition when I got it. SBC engine currently, but I am currently working on acquiring an R3 engine to replace it. Wish me luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1) Hawk Photo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1736910Click image for larger version

Name:	2) Hawk Photo.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1736911Click image for larger version

Name:	11) Hawk Engine 3.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1736912Click image for larger version

Name:	14) Hawk Interior 1.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1736913
    Regards,

John Sartorius

Nice Hawk. I would drive it, but prefer South Bend power like you.
    Good luck, and keep us in the loop.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That is SO flippin' pretty.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Beautiful car. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Comment

Very nice looking car.

Comment

Beautiful car, it needs a Studebaker engine !

Comment

Or a 500 cubic inch Cadillac. A Studillac would also be cool. The Chevy engine is probably the most practical (and it's already in there!), but there are so many of them out there....

Comment

There's just something about a red Stude....
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Very nice! I really like the wheel tire combination with the red paint.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Where did you get the wheels and tires for this beauty? Who makes the wheels?

Comment

I don't know where the wheels and tires were sourced -- the car was in this condition when I bought it. The tires are currently G78x15 bias ply wide whites; I'll be pulling the wheels and installing wide white radials in January. By that time, I should have received all the old receipts and restoration project-related paperwork from the old owner -- hopefully, receipts for the wheels will be included. If so, I will post the info here.

Comment

Originally posted by capwombat View Post
                        Or a 500 cubic inch Cadillac. A Studillac would also be cool. The Chevy engine is probably the most practical (and it's already in there!), but there are so many of them out there....
                        Haha! I had plans to build my 59 Silver Hawk into a Studillac until I found a 289 to drop into it. I had a 1970 472 with 70k original miles that I was going to use along with a th400 trans. I always wonder how fast the car would have been and how it would have handled had I gone with my original plan. I sold the motor to a friend who dropped it into a 78 Caddy. He loves it and claims it has a ton of power even in his big old sled.

Anyway, I really like your Hawk! Is the interior the original color? The red looks really nice on these old Hawks.

Comment

I don't believe either the red color (Ford "605" red, according to the previous owner) or the interior color patterns are original, though they are "period" '60s-style custom. The build sheet I just received from the Studebaker museum states that the car was originally "silvertone grey." But I like the color combo.

Have decided on a supercharged Studebaker engine (upgraded R2 w/R3 carb enclosure); the build is underway now.

Comment

So the great Utah-to-Virginia '59 Studebaker Silver Hawk road trip is underway. 1st night out of St. George was spent in Flagstaff, AZ; tonight we're in Moriarty, NM. !st photo is me in Utah; 2nd is my son in NM.Click image for larger version

Name:	Enroute to Flagstaff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1676474Click image for larger version

Name:	Roma in Moriarty, NM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1676475

Comment

Or a 500 cubic inch Cadillac.
                              One of our members has a Northstar Caddy motor shoe-horned into his '53.
                              Required some serious work to make it fit (but it goes like stink!).
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X