Name:	IMG_8846.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	2002063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2002062Howdy all

About a month ago I purchased a 55 Commander 2 dr sedan that happen to be for sale less than a mile from my house. What caught my attention was the condition of the wiring, minimal rust, and it being mostly complete. It had the right patina and was a perfect fit for the project car I’ve been searching and waiting for.

My project goal is to return it to factory spec and get it back on the road and enjoy it. This isn’t a restoration as much as a preservation. According to the seller it was parked a very long time ago due to a bad starter. The starter was replaced or rebuilt, but never installed and it sat. It came with the rebuilt starter… and about a hundred pounds of crap that I’m still scraping off from the front half of the car. The back half is remarkably dry the undercoating did its job. There’s rust in the usual places but overall it’s minimal and the car is straight and very solid.

While this is my first project car, I’m trying to do this the right way, one thing at time. It fired and briefly ran last weekend after a bit of work verifying everything was free. Now that I know it runs, I’ve started the slow climb: fuel system, oiling system, cooling, etc.

I personally like those ‘55 2 door sedan F Bodies. Interesting and different. So I hope you don’t get any negative comments just because it is not a coupe or hardtop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultros View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8867.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	2002064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8846.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	2002063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2002062Howdy all

About a month ago I purchased a 55 Commander 2 dr sedan that happen to be for sale less than a mile from my house. What caught my attention was the condition of the wiring, minimal rust, and it being mostly complete. It had the right patina and was a perfect fit for the project car I’ve been searching and waiting for.

My project goal is to return it to factory spec and get it back on the road and enjoy it. This isn’t a restoration as much as a preservation. According to the seller it was parked a very long time ago due to a bad starter. The starter was replaced or rebuilt, but never installed and it sat. It came with the rebuilt starter… and about a hundred pounds of crap that I’m still scraping off from the front half of the car. The back half is remarkably dry the undercoating did its job. There’s rust in the usual places but overall it’s minimal and the car is straight and very solid.

While this is my first project car, I’m trying to do this the right way, one thing at time. It fired and briefly ran last weekend after a bit of work verifying everything was free. Now that I know it runs, I’ve started the slow climb: fuel system, oiling system, cooling, etc.

I like what You found, looks a lot like My first Stude that I bought and drove at age 16. though mine was a Champion,same color etc. gotta love those 55s ! looking forward to Your progress.

Comment

Hello Sultros, I too have a 55 commander, 2 door sedan 16G F4.
        have been restoring for several years from the frame up. Currently installing windows. Can drive now while sitting on a step stool. Stayed with 6 volt system, installed a complete new wire harness. Anyway, thought I'd say Hi. We can share info, compare notes etc. Might use pm and email.
        ​​​​Merwin

Comment

Working...
        X