New color on my hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New color on my hawk

In early September I was on a tour in Ohio and got in a little fender bender and bent the left front fender.
    I was not happy with the paint that was on the car . The car was caught in a tornado in 2014 and repainted at that time with some body work done also. When it was painted none of the stainless,door handles or lamps where removed and it was pretty obvious.
    I now had the motivation to paint the original Desert sand poly so I did and after two coats I stood back and looked at it and didn’t like it. So it is now a Toyota color Copper poly but looks like root beer to me. I’m happy with it.
    Attached Files

Below is a '64 Hawk and a '64 Cruiser that (I think) is very close to Golden Sand, a 1964 only color.

Years ago I had a shop paint my '63 Avanti Avanti Red and what came from the automotive paint store wasn't even close. Had to repaint the car.
    --Dwight Click image for larger version  Name:	Hawk 1964 color_Golden Sand (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	1966854 Click image for larger version  Name:	Cruiser 1964 color_Golden Sand (2) - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	1966855
    Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-15-2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

The first picture is the desert sand from TCP global
      The 3rd and 6th are the paint that was on the car when I got it
      Here is a pic of the tcp global in the sun.(I painted it 2parts because I’m not tall enough to reach the center of the hood without leaning on the fender)
      Attached Files

Comment

My 62 GT is Desert Tan/Sand (according to this listing) and doesn't look like what is mentioned. I also got the paint from TCP. Maybe the lighting is changing the look?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	356
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1966846

Name:	67D51743-AC3A-427A-BE16-FAE61514620F.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1966847

I'm confused.
        "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
          My 62 GT is Desert Tan/Sand (according to this listing) and doesn't look like what is mentioned. I also got the paint from TCP. Maybe the lighting is changing the look?

I'm confused.
          Your '62 isn't Golden Sand. Studebaker had a tan in '62 which is very different from Golden Sand.

The color on your '62 does look like the tan in the '62 color chart, as far as I can tell from the small pic.

BTW, please choose 'Large" when posting the paint color chart. I can't read it as is.
          --Dwight
          Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-15-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Here's our 63GT with desert sand, painted about 6 years ago. I used PPG, which costed about twice as much due to the special color. Click image for larger version

Name:	63GT By Tank In Muldraugh.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1966853

Comment

.................Redundant...............
              --Dwight
              Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-15-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

...............Also redundant.............
                --Dwight
                Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-15-2022, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

That's a pretty color, but a little more goldish than Golden Sand. Golden Sand was offered in 1964 only.
                  --Dwight
                  Desert Sand, is what it supposedly is. If I had it to do over, I'd just go through a paint chip book and pick something clots enough. That's what the body shop guy suggested, but I wanted to try my best to go with the correct color. So I paid through the nose, and still not sure if it's right. It looks a bit darker on a cloudy day, as the above pic, here's one on a sunny day. Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude 63GT Tomoko's.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	1966862

Comment

I like the Toyota Copper color. GT Hawks look nice in dark colors with a bit of metallic.

There’s a lot of confusion in this thread about paint colors and names. “Desert Sand” is a 1961 color. “Desert Tan” is a 1962 color. Neither are gold.

1963 - Champagne Gold:

Name:	IMG_5703.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1966886

1964 - Golden Sand:

Name:	IMG_5704.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1966887
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mbstude; 11-15-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

My dad bought a desert/golden sand hawk new in early 64 . By late 65 it was BORDEAUX red. Being born in 64 I never knew it as anything but red. I have painted mine 13 months after I got it . Guess I’m more like my dad than I thought

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

Your '62 isn't Golden Sand. Studebaker had a tan in '62 which is very different from Golden Sand.

The color on your '62 does look like the tan in the '62 color chart, as far as I can tell from the small pic.

BTW, please choose 'Large" when posting the paint color chart. I can't read it as is.
                        --Dwight
                        Ah, I was going by the OPs commented it was "Desert Sand poly" which in the color chip stated desert sand and tan were the same. Weird. Hopefully this color chip comes out bigger. It seems both were correct, mine and the OP's Desert tan. Good thing I ordered mine from the paint code.

Name:	988041CB-109E-48EF-8BEA-879DB6F774BA.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1966915

Name:	F5B9501C-E262-48D0-8A40-8FC84F1CF66C.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1966916

Why would they name two different colors the same name or did I get that wrong too?
                        "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

I assume others have noticed the holes at the bottom front of some GT Hawk hoods, as below. Those holes, of course, aren't needed for the '62 Hawk's new grille. One can see them when the grille is installed. Does anyone have a theory as to why they are on some GT Hawk hoods and not others? (They were used for the 1956-61 grille.)

This color looks very similar to 1958 Canyon Copper, which we had on our '58 Silver Hawk.
                          --Dwight

Click image for larger version  Name:	62.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	1966939

Comment

Well
                            I figured if I couldn’t get the proper color that I would do one I liked.
                            This is copper poly . Same paint paint code as the sand poly but a large 70’s Toyota color
                            Attached Files

Comment

The BIG difference that changes EVERYTHING that no one mentioned is: '61/'62 Desert Sand, Desert Tan is a Solid Color, '64 Golden Sand is a Metallic (Poly) the Silver metal in the Paint reflects Light and changes the Color and the "Look" completely.

It also looks appropriate for '63 to '66 Studes. because they were Mostly all Metallic's.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X