No announcement yet.

‘61 Lark project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the feedback Matt....... I have 2 studes and plan to restore them both to show condition..... Show them a couple of 3 years after each is done just to see what they do.... Then I don't care..... will just drive them and keep them as nice as I can.....

Comment

Hey Matt, is someone Now making Delrin Bushings with holes drilled and Zerk fittings, or did you do that ?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I bought the A-arm bushings from Russ Ware, he’s the only source as far as I know. They came with the holes drilled and tapped for zerk fittings.

Update: This afternoon I pulled the oil pan and rear main cap. The leak was coming from the bottom half of the rear main seal.. And I have no idea why. The seal was installed correctly and looks perfect. Crankshaft is NOS and slippery smooth. I don’t get it.

I installed a new seal and put the oil pan back on. Still need to install the starter and exhaust pipes before I can fire it up.

All I can do is cross my fingers that I fixed it. I was really hoping to see something obvious.

Comment

Yesterday I fired the engine and ran it for a while at varying RPM’s. After about half an hour.. It started leaking oil from the rear main seal again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6976B906-6920-4CA2-A6E2-B96453F85E0C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	1982128

Last weekend at the local car club gathering I was talking to a few guys about this. One asked what kind of oil pressure the engine had. 45 psi at hot idle, and pushing up to 80 at 1500 RPM. He suggested the oil pressure might be too high and I thought it was funny.. Usually it’s the opposite problem with old cars.

After the new rear seal started leaking I reconsidered his suggestion. I pulled the pressure relief valve out and verified that it was installed correctly. I then added an extra copper sealing washer to space the screw out a bit.

The hot idle pressure dropped down to 35 psi, and 60 psi at 1500 RPM. I ran the engine for another hour and it’s dry. No more leak.

So, apparently, 80 PSI of oil pressure is too much for the rear main seal.

Last edited by mbstude; 03-19-2023, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• Silver Hawk 59
            Silver Hawk 59 commented
            Editing a comment
            Whheww... you got out of that one rather neatly!

Matthew,
          It sounds like along with a healthy dose of horse shoes, you also had the luck of the Irish helping you!
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
            Matthew,
            It sounds like along with a healthy dose of horse shoes, you also had the luck of the Irish helping you!
            Bill
            I’m just glad it worked out. This is the smoothest, nicest running engine I’ve put together thus far. The thing really runs great.. I wasn’t happy when it puked oil all over the floor.

Leaks aren’t allowed!

Comment

It's not leaking... it's marking it's territory!
              There's one in every crowd, fer cryin' out loud... why was it always turnin' out to be me?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Hawk 59 View Post
                It's not leaking... it's marking its territory!
                My dogs already do enough of that.. I don’t need cars doing it too!

Comment

Speaking of good luck.. I have an eBay search for “Carl Bartz” set to send me an alert if anything pops up.

It finally paid off as a Carl Bartz dealer nameplate was listed last week. Nice to be able to fill in those two annoying holes in the tail panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FEF2192-FEA8-4328-821F-5D0B8932CCF8.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1982484

Click image for larger version  Name:	153E5B7C-831F-479C-B5D9-772DDA402B73.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	1982394
                  Last edited by mbstude; 03-21-2023, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Today’s update:

Installed the tie rods and center bellcrank, serviced the steering box, and a few other things.. And then put the front sheet metal back on.

Still a lot to do, but at least it looks like a car again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C89A0229-6932-4EC6-8505-A1FCC70D8CE9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	1982964

Comment

This weekend’s progress shifted towards the back of the car. I rebuilt the rear brakes, serviced the axle, and installed NOS axle shafts (one shaft was bent).

The least fun job on the car so far - replacing the shackle bushings in the frame. One down, one to go.

I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out a way to do it. Using a piece of all-thread with various spacers and sockets in an attempt to draw it out resulted in breaking the all-thread.

I ended up using a pneumatic Body Saw to slice the inner sleeve. That made it possible to collapse the outer sleeve just enough to push the bushing out with an air hammer.

Once I get the other bushing installed, I can put the new leaf springs in, and then run new metal brake lines. Once that’s done it “should” be a driver.. Which means I can change gears and focus on adding AC, the sliding sunroof kit, new carpet and NOS seat upholstery. Getting there!

Click image for larger version  Name:	14615C88-A884-45E8-957F-ABDC1E448F2A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	1983774
                    Last edited by mbstude; 04-02-2023, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I had every intention of finished up the brake system rebuild today, but cutting a big hole in the roof seemed more fun.

Name:	F938F078-A5E2-4A11-ABBF-359FCF10BA41.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1986372

Name:	0DA61B2C-C3F4-4879-BE11-1F2B7BA83B4F.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1986371

Name:	CCA8E244-4559-4E8B-AC09-B185711AE5C0.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1986374

Name:	67E6CEA3-7078-44EE-A33C-F6E558D66478.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1986375

Name:	8605D1B5-02EA-4490-A8D5-BA93102E26F1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1986373

Comment

Matthew,
                        It seems you are now the official "sky top" expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Matthew,
                          It seems you are now the official "sky top" expert.
                          I don’t know about “expert”. The manufacturer offers a handful of really good “how to” videos, and I learned a few tricks when doing the ‘63 a couple of years ago that made this one go a lot easier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B453EC70-1D83-4627-8C9D-AEB1A4A9B894.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	1986394

When I added the sunroof to the ‘63, it made the car 1000% more fun to drive. In the end, the bright gold paint started wearing on me (I like colors that are more understated), and I didn’t like being confined to back roads with the OHV 6. Rather than repaint and repower the car, it went to a new home while I told myself I’d do a V8 Lark with a sunroof sooner or later.

The friend I bought this ‘61 from actually owns another ‘61 Lark four door with a factory Skytop sunroof.. But he won’t sell me that one.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mbstude; 04-25-2023, 01:39 AM.

Comment

This past weekend’s update:

Installed new rear leaf springs and finished up what was left of the brake system rebuild. Only thing left on that is shaping new metal brake lines. Once that’s done, I need to drain the rear axle and replace the pinion seal and cover gasket.. And then the car should be a “driver”.

I still had a few things to install under the hood; radiator, voltage regulator, etc. Got all of that done and started the engine for the first time since hanging the front sheetmetal in place. I ran it through the gears and up to about 60 MPH on jack stands. I think I’m gonna like having a Stude with a floor shift.

Getting close to the next “phase”. Once the mechanical bits are sorted, l’ll install the AC, put in the carpeting and NOS seat upholstery, buff the paint, and start driving it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7485.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	1987364
                            Last edited by mbstude; 05-01-2023, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X