I am confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am confused

I thought every day is Drive Your Studebaker Day. Well. except when the roads are salted in the winter, which is 4+ months out of the year here.
    Please help to clear up this confusion. Are you telling me, Studebaker owners don't drive their Studes every day? I can't imagine... I am anxiously awaiting spring.

I drive mine 12 months a year. I live in Alabama. Why do they use salt on the roads?
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have three, two are drivers and unless there is snow or salt on the roads I drive them year round.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by studoc View Post
        I thought every day is Drive Your Studebaker Day. Well. except when the roads are salted in the winter, which is 4+ months out of the year here.
        Please help to clear up this confusion. Are you telling me, Studebaker owners don't drive their Studes every day? I can't imagine... I am anxiously awaiting spring.
        I am not confused, but just write it off that most folks do not drive their Studes very often, for a myriad of reasons. I consider myself lucky to drive them daily, and hope to continue till I get too old to have a drivers license.
        Last IDYSD I drove the 56J a little over 200 miles, to look at another 56J a guy wants me to work on. (His is a show car with lousy mechanic work, that makes it unsafe to drive.) To me, it was just another day; driving brand 'X' vehicles is simply boring to me, so I cannot imagine driving anything else but a Stude, esp to look at another Stude. Sadly, I did not see any other Studes on the road, but then I very seldom do, even on IDYSD.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          I am not confused, but just write it off that most folks do not drive their Studes very often, for a myriad of reasons. I consider myself lucky to drive them daily, and hope to continue till I get too old to have a drivers license.
          Last IDYSD I drove the 56J a little over 200 miles, to look at another 56J a guy wants me to work on. (His is a show car with lousy mechanic work, that makes it unsafe to drive.) To me, it was just another day; driving brand 'X' vehicles is simply boring to me, so I cannot imagine driving anything else but a Stude, esp to look at another Stude. Sadly, I did not see any other Studes on the road, but then I very seldom do, even on IDYSD.
          I hear You Joe...rain, snow, salted roads, what have You.......if I need to get somewhere, I get there in a Studebaker! (Well, Avanti II)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SN-60; 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I don't drive every day, but all I drive are South Bend machines. I do hitch a ride in my sons Rambler sometimes.

Comment

Indeed- driving my Stude year-round sure beats walking!!!

'specially since I own nothing but Studes!!!
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                I drive mine 12 months a year. I live in Alabama. Why do they use salt on the roads?

I have been threatening to move south for years. I hate cold and snow, plus I could be driving my old iron all year. I think they use salt up here to sell new vehicles. I worked too hard to get my 'Bakers into respectable shape to have them gone again in a few years. Then again, Bondo doesn't rust...

Comment

The worse thing (sometimes) about driving a Stude year round is to have to always allow time to discuss the car when I'm gassing up, etc. It never fails that someone wants to look the car over. Leaving the bank last
                  Friday afternoon, someone asked Me to please drive away slowly, as he wanted to take a video of My car on his 'smart phone'! (whatever that is)

Comment

The reason we have IDYSD is to be a promotion for the Studebaker Drivers Club. For those of you that live in areas that the weather is good enough that you can get away with driving your cars year round and you enjoy driving your cars, then you are the backbone of the club and we are proud to have you as a member. However, in many parts of the country such as where I live, driving a Studebaker year round is difficult unless you have undercoating 12" thick on your car. The point of IDYSD is to encourage people that own Studebakers who otherwise would not take their cars out to do so. We want people to go out in the barn, dust off grandpas old Hawk, and go for a ride in the hopes that they will join the club or get somebody else interested in the club or get interested themselves to work on their car. The other thing we aim for is to take "trailer queens" out for a drive. If you only drive your 400 point '58 Golden Hawk one time a year, we encourage it to be on IDYSD in the hopes that it will encourage you to drive it twice a year... The point is, we want to expose the Studebaker name to people that otherwise wouldn't get the opportunity.

As for the salt on the roads, it's used for snow and ice control and it makes cars rust out ten times faster. That's the main reason I don't take my '40 out in the winter.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      The worse thing (sometimes) about driving a Stude year round is to have to always allow time to discuss the car when I'm gassing up, etc. It never fails that someone wants to look the car over. Leaving the bank last
                      Friday afternoon, someone asked Me to please drive away slowly, as he wanted to take a video of My car on his 'smart phone'! (whatever that is)
                      This wikipedia article will explain Smartphone.

John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

We had a heavy snow and the roads were treated. Fortunately, it warmed up and we had a rain which leached away the salt. When the roads dried and the thermometer reached 40-50 the Studebaker took me for a ride. Hopefully, it will happen again in February.
                        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I avoid salt whenever possible. Around here, they use a liquid concoction that I've heard will eat the bottom out of a coffee can in a week. It rained hard yesterday, and I purposely drove the GT in it, to rinse the undercarriage of any possible presence of the above concoction. Then this morning, snow again; just enough for them to resalt the roads. So I am in the brand-X again today. Boring

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                            The reason we have IDYSD is to be a promotion for the Studebaker Drivers Club.<<<... The point is, we want to expose the Studebaker name to people that otherwise wouldn't get the opportunity.<<<
                            Chris, the problem has been and still is that there is NO discernible "LINK" between a bunch of old vehicles on the road 1 day a year and the STUDEBAKER DRIVERS CLUB, INC.

Driving Studebakers around in a world having a population of over 7,062,000,000 people on IDYSD 2012 only produced this 1 known new SDC Member mentioned in this other IDYSD thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...2-recap…
                            Last edited by Welcome; 02-02-2013, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                              Chris, the problem has been and still is that there is NO discernible "LINK" between a bunch of old vehicles on the road 1 day a year and the STUDEBAKER DRIVERS CLUB, INC.

Driving Studebakers around in a world having a population of over 7,062,000,000 people on IDYSD 2012 only produced this 1 known new SDC Member mentioned in this other IDYSD thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...2-recap…
                              Lets face it, we are a dying breed. I say enjoy the Studes, and don't worry about preserving them for the next 50 years of drivers, who supposedly will come. IN event ten years from now, we'll be all but extinct.

I like the idea of the IDYSD, if it gets folks out once a year in their Studes, but it does not seem to be helping us avoid the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X