IDYSD in Kansas 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDYSD in Kansas 2019

Midway Chapter hosted an event by inviting anyone who wanted to, to drive their Studebaker to Abilene and rendezvous at The Brookville Hotel for their famous chicken dinner. We had 18 adults and 2 children for the sumptuous meal, and long distance went to Ozzie McCauley who drove his '64 Challenger from Springfield, Missouri. From Kansas we also had a '61 Hawk, an '80 Avanti II, a '53 Commander, and even a '65 Mustang (Studebaker restoration not quite finished).

The meal was fit for a king, starting off with pickled cinnamon apples, apricots, and bread'n'butter pickles along with bowls of the creamiest coleslaw you ever put in your mouth. Next came bowl after bowl of smooth mashed potatos and cream gravy, along with creamed corn. Plates stacked with cathead biscuits, and dishes of butter and strawberry jam were next to arrive. Shortly after came huge platters of fried chicken, piping hot and juicy - as much as you wanted. Leftover boxes were provided, and the staff encouraged us to take the leftover chicken home. Did I forget to mention the homemade ice cream for dessert?

After stuffing ourselves we drove down to the Abilene Convention Center for pictures, and then scattered throughout the busy town. Members of the 2020 Zone Meet committee gathered at the Holiday Inn Express to check out locations for hospitality rooms, and discuss room prices, etc.

We would like to thank the Abilene Convention Center for guaranteeing and providing the warm and breezy Chamber of Commerce weather. And a huge thanks to the staff and cooks of the Brookville Hotel for that astounding meal.

We may have gained a new member, too. A fellow saw our Studebakers and talked to a member on the way out of town. He has a GT Hawk, and was looking for StudeFolk to talk with. I'll keep you informed.
    Last edited by Chris Pile; 09-19-2019, 08:05 AM.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Chris, you have answered my questions about your venue for IDYSD. Sounded like a great place to eat when I wrote it up for What's Happening and looks like it didn't disappoint. Make sure that I have the information for that Zone meet for What's Happening too! Our Hamilton Chapter also gained a member on one of our tours, we met up with a person with a Studebaker and he joined our chapter.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Here are a few pictures from our event....

The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Chris,
        Very nice pictures. Nice cars too!!

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
        studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Working...
        X