Disk brakes on an M-5 straight axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk brakes on an M-5 straight axle

A couple of months ago I was checking out the front axle on the M-5 and noticed that the spindles looked familiar. Scratching my head, it kept rolling back to the front of my mind.....where? Digging through my selection of spent parts I found a front hub/rotor for a late 70s early 80s Dodge half ton pickup. Darned if the bearings are the same size as the Studebaker spindle! The spindle on the Stude is a bit longer and would require a spacer about a quarter of an inch to let the bearings snug up. The spacer could probably be made to be where the seal rides, that diameter I didn't have time to check. I hope this bit of info helps someone make their ride stop a lot better without going to the trouble of a front crossmember and MustangII (shudder) conversion. It could be returned back to stock if you can find springs for the drum brakes.....LOL! My builds I always try to do the least harm as we all know they aren't going to be any more!
    Terry

Terry, If you dig a little more you will find that a 69-72 Dodge Charger disc is almost bolt on. You have to change the rear bearing and use a different oil seal. But they are getting harder to find too.

Comment

Thanks Alan! I found the disk brakes about 2 weeks before I decided to sell it. Oh well, I wish I could finish it.
      Terry

Comment

Chevy rotors to match the bolt pattern on the 10-bolt rear end.

Comment

Missing details. What 'Chevy rotors'? What bearings? What grease seals? What calipers? Mounting brackets from where?

Comment

Working...
          X