No announcement yet.

Went to the local Orphan Car show today saw this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange paint treatment. Looks awkward to my eye. I agree with post 11 comment. The cove area with the second color would have been more classy for me. To each his own.

Comment

The 1953 Speedster II, at least it is "DIFFERENT"!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for posting. Always enjoy seeing different cars.

Comment

I have seen drawings and photos of quite a number of convertibles/roadsters based on the 53 coupes, and I think this is by far the best styling I have seen. I agree with others comments on the way the two tone is done, and I personally would have used a stock 53 trunk lid, but everything else about it is very pleasing to my sense of aesthetics. I really like the door treatment.
          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

I like it just fine. Also, I believe Ed Reynolds has one based on Bob Bourke's original proposal for a Studebaker production roadster. That one, is one of my favorites. With any of these, I'm always curious regarding how the frame was engineered to compensate for rigidity, in the absence of a top, since no convertible frame was produced for this style car.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I like it just fine. Also, I believe Ed Reynolds has one based on Bob Bourke's original proposal for a Studebaker production roadster. That one, is one of my favorites. With any of these, I'm always curious regarding how the frame was engineered to compensate for rigidity, in the absence of a top, since no convertible frame was produced for this style car.
              Ed Reynolds has the original Studebaker factory prototype 1953 convertible. John Bridges built a two seater based on Bob Bourke's design idea.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Ed Reynolds has the original Studebaker factory prototype 1953 convertible. John Bridges built a two seater based on Bob Bourke's design idea.
                Thanks for the clarification Gary. I believe it was the Bridges car I saw some time back in the 1990's when the international meet was in Nashville Tennessee. I thought that was an great looking car too.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Someone went to a lot of work to "do it their way." Good for them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Thanks for the clarification Gary. I believe it was the Bridges car I saw some time back in the 1990's when the international meet was in Nashville Tennessee. I thought that was an great looking car too.
                    Yes, Bridges' car was in the hotel at the 1992 Nashville SDC Convention.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      The 1953 Speedster II, at least it is "DIFFERENT"!
                      The drawing in Post #11 would be '1953'

What we see built would be a '1956' Speedster II, with the chrome 'V' and added fins.

Craig

Comment

Is this car made from a C body or an F body?
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                          Is this car made from a C body or an F body?
                          If you are referring to the topic car, I do not believe that it was either of those, but rather a K body.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I like the trunk lid myself. I've got a line on a Mark III trunk lid that I planed to cut up and use on a rusty hawk trunk lid. At least now I know what it will look like. Only thing I would do different is leave out the lock and Studebaker emblem and leave it flat across.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                              Someone went to a lot of work to "do it their way." Good for them!!!
                              And, thankfully, their way included parts from some of Studebaker's best.
                              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                              jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X