No announcement yet.

Can-O-Worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes, the shakes can make for better welds. Just work on the timing of your personal shake

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
    <snip> I can weld well but get the shakes and on that thin stuff the shakes does not cut it. <snip>
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As far as welders go.....
      Just pay close attention to the 'duty cycle' of the welder you are using.

This Harbor Freight Mig welder has a 20% duty cycle.

That means for every 60 seconds of welding, you have to let it cool off for 108 seconds.
      Think about that. You can weld for 12 seconds of every minute.

Specifications
      90 Amp-AC, 120 Volt, Flux Cored Welder
      Chicago Electric Welding
      20% @ 90 AC amps
      0.035 in.
      0.030 in.
      Yes
      Mild, low alloy steel (not suitable for aluminum or stainless steel)
      18 gauge to 3/16 in. thick (0.047 in. to 0.187 in.)
      14-3/4 in.
      14-1/2 in.
      8-3/8 in.
      37.85 lb.
      spare contact tip, hand-held face shield, wire brush / chipping hammer combo, spool of flux core wire
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 03-26-2016, 06:13 AM.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

"It's a poor workman that blames his tools"..........

Comment

it's easy to blame harbor freight stuff.... I've got some.
          some is ok, some is poor. I absolutely love their 4" angle grinders, but remember to remove the screws around the gearbox and add lock-tite.
          most of their electrical tools are garbage. Including the hobby mig welders.
          I still buy some stuff from them, however. Usually stuff that's light duty.

Comment

The Duty cycle is based on 10 minute cycle, so if its a 20% duty cycle at 90 amps, then you can weld for 2 minuets strait then cool for 8. Keep in mind that's a full on continuous trigger pulled for 2 minuets, not start, stop, move and start again in the 2 minuets. So take into account setup and moving from one weld to another as cooling time. it tends to stretch out the duty cycle. Also, the duty cycle will increase as the amps are lowered like you would for sheet metal welding.

Comment

Nobody has mentioned the worst thing about this HF welder. It uses flux core wire and not gas. Mig welding really relies on the argon and co2 to produce a good weld. For a beginner to try to weld with the flux core,I think would be very disappointing.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

eastwood has a good price on a small 110 unit that i'am also looking at. go on their web site and give it a look.

Comment

Check my post, #8, but thanks for bringing it up again. Flux rhymes with sucks and that's a good comparison. Welding sheet metal takes decent equipment and argon/co2 helps cool the weld.
                  Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                  Nobody has mentioned the worst thing about this HF welder. It uses flux core wire and not gas. Mig welding really relies on the argon and co2 to produce a good weld. For a beginner to try to weld with the flux core,I think would be very disappointing.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                  X