Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Studebaker Shop

Hi All,

I own 58 Silver Hawk modified with a 400 SMB Chevy, 350 Trans, and Turner Front Disk Brakes. We drive it quite a bit during the season; in fact due to some incredible weather here last weekend we took a wonderful drive Sunday. We love the Hawk however it handles terrible. I could probably rebuild the front end but instead I am looking for a reputable shop to have the front end rebuilt and set up for power steering. I would also like to get some interior, electrical and paint work done. I have talked to a couple of shops in the central Ohio area and they seem to think that the only way to improve handling is to have a custom frame built and installed. I would love that but unfortunately the price tag far exceeds my budget.

I see many modified Hawks in Turning Wheels that have had Mustang II type power steering installed. Are you guys putting the Hawks on new frames or just a front clip?

Does anyone know of a competent shop in Ohio or surrounding states that I could talk to about getting this type of work done.

Thanks.
    Will

Meyer's Studebaker is in Duncan Falls, Ohio. At (740) 674 Four, Eight, Nine, Seven. Talk to Mike Myer.

C and K Models have been successfully Sub-Framed, keeping the Firewall Back portion of the Frame.
    Also proper Steering Gear, King Pin and Outer upper and lower Pin condition, correct alignment and greasing will go a long way to improving Steering and Handling.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-29-2016, 04:48 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Meyer's Studebaker is in Duncan Falls, Ohio. At (740) 674 Four, Eight, Nine, Seven. Talk to Mike Myer.
      With that advice you can't go wrong!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would suggest taking it to Meyers Studebaker in Duncan Falls, OH.

myersstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, myersstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Tell them to look over your front end and fix it properly.
        Maybe add a larger front sway bar, and a rear sway bar... Some decent shocks... Make sure the springs are right.
        There is no reason a properly set up Stude front end can't be made to handle.
        Sure, the cool looking magazine stuff is nice, but your setup is just as good.
        Spend your money wisely.
        Jon and Mike can fix you right up...

http://www.myersstudebaker.com/
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Did anybody mention Myers Studebaker in Duncan Falls?

Comment

Whats the ballpark $$$ for a suspension rehab with larger front sway bar and rear bar, bushings and what not? Do those quick steering arms really make a difference?
            I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

A rebuilt stock front suspension will drive very nice. I had a 74 Nova subframe in my 53 that worked out well. My 40 President street Rod has a 74 Camaro sub and it drives like a dream.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                Did anybody mention Myers Studebaker in Duncan Falls?
                LOL Ed,
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is a start. Made my head spin.

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                  Whats the ballpark $$$ for a suspension rehab with larger front sway bar and rear bar, bushings and what not? Do those quick steering arms really make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                    The quick steering arms do help, both by giving you a little faster steering and giving the steering a slightly tighter feel while driving straight but even with power steering, it's a little harder to turn the wheels at idle. If you are going to replace them, don't waste your time trying to knock the old ones out with a regular hammer, use a good air hammer with a bit that is ground to fit the relief in the threaded end of the steering arm. I spent almost an hour beating on the first one with a hammer and drift pin, finally grabbed the ol' Snap On air hammer and got them both off in less than 30 seconds each. An air hammer is very handy for a lot of the front end rebuilding.

Comment

Great advice all. I'm thinking I need to talk to Myers.
                      Thanks
                      Will

Comment

Working...
                      X