New 1940 Stude Owner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1940 Stude Owner.

I have drunk the Koolaid and am now a Studebaker owner a 1940 Champion Coupe -Laurel Green. (Third generation to drive one in the family) after being a Model A and Corvette guy over the past 25 years. Back in October I asked the forum about the details on a 40 Champ and all of you were very helpful. Needs some electrical work but not to bad. I do have a question (First of many I am sure) and certain you can answer. First it has over drive and on basic level (New to Studes) how do I engage it and drive with it ? I know it has and engagement lever but not certain how it should be operated. Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	stude 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1750478

If it is a borg warner overdrive like in my 65 just google "borg warner overdrive" and open the one that says The Overdrive and it explains everything very well. Beautiful car !!

Comment

Just keep the overdrive knob pushed in and you have overdrive.

Comment

That is a great looking car. Congrats.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

if the OD is working correctly, with the cable pushed in, once you reach 30 MPH, let off the gas and it will click into OD.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Great little coupe - did you get her in New Jersey? Original color?

Comment

Remember, if you park it on a hill in overdrive, it will roll unless you put it in reverse.

Comment

That's a really nice looking coupe.
                Never try to pull the lock out lever back out of overdrive unless the engine is pulling and the tranny is out of overdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by rowan View Post
                  Great little coupe - did you get her in New Jersey? Original color?
                  Yes, NJ. Original Color was Laurel Green originally the seller had the build sheet. Needs some work but overall not to bad. I will most likely need to do some rewire work on headlights and running lights and pull the radiator to stop a seep. She started right up with no smoke, good oil press and positive charge on ammeter. Also will need to pull hubs to look at brakes. some of the paint is chipped but not bad. Looks like a repaint sometime ago. Thank goodness I can do my own work but sure I will need to ask multi questions on the forum as I now need to learn about Studebakers. So couple of questions, 1) Any tricks to pulling radiator? Looks straight forward but thought I would ask just in case. 2) Tricks to pulling rear Hubs? I know they are tapered axles and I will need to use a Puller. 3.) Any publications available for maintenance? Any help would be appreciated
                  Regards DENNIS

Comment

Thanks all for guidance comments I appreciate . Sure I will have additional questions you all could help me with.

Thanks again

Comment

Copies of the original factory parts catalogs and shop manual are available from several of our major Studebaker vendors.
                      If you haven't joined the Studebaker Drivers Club do yourself a favor. The monthly magazine Turning Wheels will supply all the contacts you will need.
                      Also, since yours is a pre-war model, you may consider joining the Antique Studebaker Club.

Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Most Studebaker questions have been answered here!

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Take your foot off the gas and, man alive, you'll shove it on down into overdrive...
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by ddeg View Post
                            Yes, NJ. Original Color was Laurel Green originally the seller had the build sheet. Needs some work but overall not to bad. I will most likely need to do some rewire work on headlights and running lights and pull the radiator to stop a seep. She started right up with no smoke, good oil press and positive charge on ammeter. Also will need to pull hubs to look at brakes. some of the paint is chipped but not bad. Looks like a repaint sometime ago. Thank goodness I can do my own work but sure I will need to ask multi questions on the forum as I now need to learn about Studebakers. So couple of questions, 1) Any tricks to pulling radiator? Looks straight forward but thought I would ask just in case. 2) Tricks to pulling rear Hubs? I know they are tapered axles and I will need to use a Puller. 3.) Any publications available for maintenance? Any help would be appreciated
                            Regards DENNIS
                            Welcome to the club!!!! I own a 1940 President. When it comes to pulling the radiator, it is pretty straight forward although I would recommend you have an extra hand due to the weight of the radiator. I needed a puller for removing my rear drums. I just "rented" the hub puller from o-riellys and modified it by shaving the ears off of it and kept the tool for $25. If your brakes are dragging check to make sure the brake pedal to master cylinder push rod is adjusted properly. I battled my brake drag for a couple months before noticing I was able to adjust the push rod. I checked and re-checked the proper alignment of my shoes around the spindle. Again, Welcome to the club and happy cruising!!!!

"Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

Comment

Working...
                            X