Got to see this 63 Lark diesel coupe today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by what huh View Post
    Its a funny world we live in.... less then a week ago I was researching Perkins engines in the automotive industry in hopes of putting it in a stude truck.

Reason I started down that line of research is that I work in the commercial fishing industry, I was walking the "yard" last week and a perkins diesel engine caught my eye.... first thing I thought of was a studebaker build
    IIRC, some old issue of Turning Wheels ('80s? '90s?) had an article about '50s diesel Transtars. It was something like special ordering a Transtar without an engine, but with the transmission and a special adapter kit. I think that most of these were for export. The local dealer than had to purchase a (six cylinder?) Perkins engine and drop it in at his shop. They also had to conger or cobble up some sort of radiator bracket or fan shroud. I wonder if any of these old adapter kits still exist?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

If that Lark were available for purchase I might be interested.

Of course I am building my 39 CE with a 1983 Mercedes turbodiesel backed by a five speed od transmission. It also has a ford 9" half ton rear axle and 12" ventilated discs all around. My intention is to be able to drive it anywhere any time and pull a small trailer with brakes if I feel like it.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I would like to own that car......

My Grandfather was a Studenaker man. He was also a Massey-Ferguson man. I have been around the Perkins diesel my whole life. They are good efficient engines that have a tendency to leak oil..... Great for Studes! That engine appears in the photo to be a 202/236. They were used in Massey -Ferguson 65 models. In the tractor version they had about 50 horsepower.

that car reminds me of something that Grandpa would have bought.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

There is a SDC member & Studebaker Truck Farmer from New York who combined a 3/4 ton Champ truck and a Mercedes diesel. Saw him multiple times at Reedsville and the York Swap Meet loaded to the gills with the rear leaf springs pretty flattened out...

Last edited by 62champ; 12-13-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

There is a member whom has a VW diesel in an M series pickup 100 miles south of St. Louis. NICE TRUCK
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
              There is a member whom has a VW diesel in an M series pickup 100 miles south of St. Louis. NICE TRUCK
              RQ posted that one here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-diesel-trucks

Craig

Comment

Going slightly off-topic, but since engine transplants are being discussed, has anyone successfully put a Mopar 383/440 into a Stude car or pickup? I had a '74 Vogue motorhome laid on me, and it has a sweet-running propane-fueled 440 in it, with Torqueflite, of course. I started it up, and did a circuit of the yard in it, and it goes in both drive and reverse.

And how the heck do you get the motor out of the darn thing?
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Prolly like a van. Remove the engine cover from inside the vehicle, then drop it down or pull it up or go straight forward through the grill opening.

Comment

Interesting to see that the Lark has a Turner Quick Start from my hometown of Sycamore.
                    Rick
                    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                      Going slightly off-topic, but since engine transplants are being discussed, has anyone successfully put a Mopar 383/440 into a Stude car or pickup?
                      Carl Purdy, ST2DE5 on the forum, has a C Cab with a 440 in it. I think he also has, or has had, other Studes with MoPar power.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                        Interesting to see that the Lark has a Turner Quick Start from my hometown of Sycamore.
                        Is that like some type of ether squirter?
                        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

The 383 should fit anywhere a stude will fit....probably lighter too.

Comment

The engine hatch between the seats is too small, and there is no door anywhere near it, for to reach in with a picker. I will probably cut the front of the body out, below the rather small hinged grill. Then remove radiator, etc., detach engine and tranny from mounts, block it up, and roll body/chassis backwards away from it. The RV body has dry rot in structure, and the mice have ruined the interior, so it is destined to become a storage unit. The axles, front and rear, may find their way under a Studebaker truck. 19.5" wheels, and the bolt pattern looks similar to M15/M16 trucks.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                              Going slightly off-topic, but since engine transplants are being discussed, has anyone successfully put a Mopar 383/440 into a Stude car or pickup? I had a '74 Vogue motorhome laid on me, and it has a sweet-running propane-fueled 440 in it, with Torqueflite, of course. I started it up, and did a circuit of the yard in it, and it goes in both drive and reverse.

And how the heck do you get the motor out of the darn thing?
                              If its a 'Class-A' motorhome, I suspect one will have to remove it similar to a Zip Van.

Craig

Comment

I have put a 413 in a 53K. You have to modify the front cross member to drop the steering bell crank and use an oil filter bypass adapter or modify even more the cross member since the oil filter hits. On the motor home you have to drop it out the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                                X