Is this a Studebaker V8 motor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Studebaker V8 motor ?

Truck folks, this is a photo of a motor in a 1955 E38. SDC info says this truck would've had a 259 V8 in it, although seller says it's a 289.
    Since it's stated as a non-original motor, I wonder if it's even a Studebaker one. I ask because, one, I'm not knowledgeable on this subject, and two, the only Studebaker V8 motor I have for comparison is a 1963 289. The valve covers on mine have only two hold-down bolts whereas the valve covers in the motor pictured have four hold-down bolts each. Thanks in advance for comments and education.

Mike Auldridge in MDClick image for larger version

Name:	Stude 1955 E38 pik03.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1749103 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude 1955 E38 pik08.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1749104
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Yes its a Stude engine , you'd need to give us the serial number to determine a 259 or 289 . its found on the front right corner of the block ...look for a flat machined spot.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Very much a Studebaker V-8. Painted in colors used on '56 - '57 engines. The 4 bolt valve covers were used up to very early 1960 models.

Comment

Power Steering, now that's gotta be really RARE!

The Engine could be a '55 thru '60 the Serial Number is on the (Left Side) Driver's side of the front, top corner of the block.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

RARE, exactly that - I only ever saw ONE C-cab with Power Steering Decades ago.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Power Steering, now that's gotta be really RARE!

The Engine could be a '55 thru '60 the Serial Number is on the (Left Side) Driver's side of the front, top corner of the block.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

There's one in my garage -- a 4E40.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks, all, for the general confirmation. As for serial number, will have to get seller to get that info; thanks also for reminding me where the number is found. I'll re-post once I get that info.

Mike A in MD
              Mike Auldridge
              Gaithersburg, MD
              301-651-4346
              SDC Life Member since 1976
              1948 M16
              1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                RARE, exactly that - I only ever saw ONE C-cab with Power Steering Decades ago.
                One sold at Beiler's auction outside Lancaster, PA about 10-12 years ago. I may have been owned by the Witmer's.

Comment

The S/N pad is on the LHS top of the block, immediately to the left of the oil fill tube.
                  It is on the right if you are facing the engine looking toward the rear.

And the meaning of those numbers is here:

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  Yes its a Stude engine , you'd need to give us the serial number to determine a 259 or 289 . its found on the front right corner of the block ...look for a flat machined spot.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Not sure Gary, this was here in CT. in the late 70s early 80s.this Truck may also have been an automatic,it stood out for some reason at the time.

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                    One sold at Beiler's auction outside Lancaster, PA about 10-12 years ago. I may have been owned by the Witmer's.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                    X