Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Speedster (dogs) not such a “hot” seller (memos from Nance and Churchill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Speedster (dogs) not such a “hot” seller (memos from Nance and Churchill)

Click image for larger version

Name:	nance memo copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1748998Click image for larger version

Name:	nance memo from churchill copy.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1748999Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1 copy.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1749000
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

#1 and 2 confirms what a lot of us here already knew, '55's were Dogs! You heard it from the top.

In #3, Looks like the Gibson Co. had some very fancy Company Cars!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I guess they were just yesterday's news and not many were interested. They were very different than the all new 1956 models.
      Perfect time to buy a new Speedster on the cheap though. Our local dealer, Mathis Motors sold his last new Studebaker in stock in 1968.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Wow, that's remarkable. That's the car many of us lust after and they cost big bucks to buy now. Go figure.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Wow, that's remarkable. That's the car many of us lust after and they cost big bucks to buy now. Go figure.
          Not really. It was pretty much the way it was with most of the performance models. Marketing guys knew the "halo" models built showroom traffic, even if they didn't sell many. GM couldn't give away early Corvettes. The Chrysler 300s got showroom traffic but few sales. The Hawk would have been canceled in '59, but the dealers knew it was the only thing bringing lookers. Mopar built way more hemis, Superbirds than the market would bear and they sat in showrooms for months after model change.

It is only years later the low production high performance models find their following. R3s come to mind.

jack viens
          PackardV8

Comment

I wonder if that third photo was taken at Gibson Motors (Studebaker) in Mansfield, Ohio.

If so, that was where my grandfather bought a '55 President State. I remember Dad telling me it was in the Spring of 1956. It was languishing in a corner indoors because they didn't want it out on the lot with the newer '56 models. Fortunately he preferred the '55 AND getting a great deal. WIN-WIN!

My grandmother preferred a C-K. If she'd found out the discounts were offered on those also, well... she could be very persuasive. A Speedster would have been a lot of flash for the owner of a small rural general store.
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Thanks for posting this , I'll have to go look at my build sheet , for my 55 president.....

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                I wonder if that third photo was taken at Gibson Motors (Studebaker) in Mansfield, Ohio.

If so, that was where my grandfather bought a '55 President State. I remember Dad telling me it was in the Spring of 1956. It was languishing in a corner indoors because they didn't want it out on the lot with the newer '56 models. Fortunately he preferred the '55 AND getting a great deal. WIN-WIN!

My grandmother preferred a C-K. If she'd found out the discounts were offered on those also, well... she could be very persuasive. A Speedster would have been a lot of flash for the owner of a small rural general store.
                The photo was taken in South Bend, Indiana just across the street from the Freeman-Spicer Studebaker dealership.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Similarly, new Packard Caribbeans often languished. Their production orders will show an A, B, C, etc., for how many times it had been assigned to a zone or dealer. Quite a few, IIRC, had B or C noted. As expensive as they were, you'd think they could move 500 of anything. The one my local dealer sold was factory stock although our dealer put the "Custom Built for...." plaque on the dash.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Question....
                    Were the majority of the unsold models Lemon/Lime color?
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Put yourself in the place of a new car buyer in early 1956 - if you wanted a 'sporty' Studebaker, why would you buy last years news when you could have a '56 Golden Hawk with a Packard V8? As Nance said, by early 1956 these cars were obsolete.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

If there were that many left over in inventory, they were sure building them very late in the model year as per Post #4 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...one-Speedsters I wonder why they were still building them up to the point of producing at least one in a 1956 color combination.

Craig
                        Last edited by 8E45E; 11-07-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I noticed the difference in whitewall widths on the Speedsters in the picture. It's interesting that the cars with the dark color on top had the wider whitewalls. The cars with dark on the bottom all had the narrower whitewalls. I wonder if this was a coincidence or intentional from the factory?

Comment

Hi

Nance was very familiar with leftover, hard-to-move expensive models: both the '53 and '54 Packard Caribbean convertibles ended their selling seasons with significant numbers of leftovers as the new model year cars arrived. Dealer discounts and financial assistance was allotted to clear those out. As noted, they helped generate showroom traffic but inventory control seemed to have been poorly managed, too optimistic when initial strong sales were taken to mean continued strong demand. For those who weren't "early adapters" who had to have the latest first, those leftovers were a considerable bargain. In retrospect: special to us now; a headache to the company, zones and dealers then.

Steve

Comment

In late 1954, that was all Packard had to sell were 1954 models, and they weren't 'leftovers'. Packard missed the important September new-car-intros, and didn't have any new 1955's available until January of that year.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X