Truck Radiator tank needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Radiator tank needed

I have a '52 2R17a with the Commander Six. The upper tank in the radiator I'm told is too cracked to still use. I'm looking for a good radiator, or even just the good upper tank so they could graft that on.

OR, this shop said they would build a new upper tank for the radiator, it just would have the dimensions of the lower tank and not the larger upper tank. Would that be a problem, if I ran the radiator with a smaller upper tank?

Thank you!

I crammed a Champion Radiator in mine. Part# cc4952 it's a quite a bit shorter than stock, hoses are wrong place, but works fine. Actually mine is a 58 Transtar, but similar. you're probably ok to let them build a smaller upper tank, but make sure that they clean out the tubes and determine if it's actually worth it.
    that CC4952 is aluminum, and less than $250 including shipping and supposedly cools 600hp.

Comment

Someone must have a good top tank from a junk radiator. The top tank is also the expansion tank, so I wouldn't go any smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        Someone must have a good top tank from a junk radiator. The top tank is also the expansion tank, so I wouldn't go any smaller.
        Good point, I wondered about the size difference. I was advised, the shop that would make a smaller tank would also add another row, to 3, and then install more fins and louvered ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
          I crammed a Champion Radiator in mine. Part# cc4952 it's a quite a bit shorter than stock, hoses are wrong place, but works fine. Actually mine is a 58 Transtar, but similar. you're probably ok to let them build a smaller upper tank, but make sure that they clean out the tubes and determine if it's actually worth it.
          that CC4952 is aluminum, and less than $250 including shipping and supposedly cools 600hp.
          When you say crammed, does that refer to just the fact it doesn't reach the top of the radiator frame? Is that Champion the same radiator that is in the Larks? I could compare hose positions and dimensions if that's the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
          Couldn't you just add an expansion tank to the side then?

Comment

Hi, Leo,
            Lon said you needed a good used big 6 truck radiator, & I have one for $175. +shipping

Comment

Barry, PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                - - Updated - - -

Couldn't you just add an expansion tank to the side then?
                You probably could, but Barry has the best solution with a good original radiator.

Comment

Barry!

Comment

Patience, Grasshopper...

Comment

I got 2 possibly 3 truck radiators, not sure if for a small or big 6, and one hooked up to a v8.

Comment

yes, the CC4952 is shorter.....

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                          Patience, Grasshopper...
                          Ahh yes, I hate it when I forget internet time and real time.

It's been an ongoing exercise in this, without question. Not quite zenned out, but I am practicing mindfulness regularly. Like last night with the 25 oil pan bolts. #26, above the rear crossmember made ME very cross. I may need to drop the pan more to get it in. Of course, the nasty bastidge ones went in okay, this one was one of the relatively accessible above the crossmember that's giving me trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by studeynut View Post
                            I got 2 possibly 3 truck radiators, not sure if for a small or big 6, and one hooked up to a v8.
                            Give me a couple of days to hear from Barry. Thank you for the offer, I'm needing one for a 245 on a 2R17A.

Comment

I don't know where the part numbers are, can't find any that match any other previous mentioned numbers. My two 6 cylinder radiators have a McCord Corp. tags one with "L48" and the other "K521", both in great shape. The V8 radiator is the same but dented, all have the large tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X