50 Starlight Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Starlight Coupe

Have begun restoration of my 50 Starlight, but am going to upgrade the drive train and everything under the hood and dash. This car has current tag and was driver when I picked it up last month. The car is rust free except the inner rear fender dust panels. Keeping the exterior original, but will be selling all of the other parts, including the steering wheel and column, the complete dash (all gauges worked except fuel), speedometer cable complete, windshield wiper assembly complete and working, the horns, defroster and related parts and possibly the complete front seat assembly. Front suspension parts also available. Engine, OD transmission, rear axle assembly and drive shaft are on hold for local buyer, but that could change. 4 lug rims also available. Also have front and rear bumpers from another 50, but they need re-chrome. If any interest, let me know. Haven't set prices yet so offers considered. Photos available.

On flip side, does anyone have or know of rear glass that might be available ? Would like to find spare in case I break one removing when I paint car. Thought I saw a set posted a while back but can't locate the post.

I have a 50 Starlight that I'm parting out. It has nice rear glass, all 4 pieces. and nice windshield. Contact if interested.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I am interested in steering wheel and rims.
      Ron Acton

Comment

Sounds like you are doing a radical restomod much like I did, including starting with a running car. The only Studebaker mechanics left in mine are the door latches and the window regulators. What kind of drive train and suspension have you decided to use?
        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Can't wait to hear/see more about it!
          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
          Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission
          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Planning on a Mustang II front clip( installing this weekend) , a 1955 DeSoto 291 Hemi and 4 speed Chrysler automatic. Have already installed a 62 GT Hawk TT rear end. Was going to do a frame off, but frame is in almost factory condition, save a little surface rust. Have cleaned it and put rust kill. With paint it is very good looking. Since I am not building as a show car, but a car to drive and show it will meet my needs. Will do a total rebuild on the engine, but as it only has 59K original miles on it, I don't expect any surprises. Plan on putting a GT hawk dash in it so I can use a 6 instrument cluster like I did on my 62 GT Hawk. I put a 392 Hemi in my GT and am very happy with the way that turned out. Will put the power booster on the frame and install the battery in the trunk so the only thing under the hood is the motor, P/S pump and alternator and a new wiring harness. Appreciate the response.

Comment

Do you have a price on the rear glass set?

Comment

Ron, I'll call you about the steering wheel and rims. Are you interested in just the steering wheel or the wheel with the column and shift lever?

Comment

Most likely, your rubber windshield gaskets are old and cracked. New ones are available. Therefore, you should NOT need to save the old gaskets. Simply cut them to remove the windshields. Then, you will only have to worry about breaking one when you re-install them. The "Body" portion of your shop manual will give instructions for removal and installation.

On these year cars, the windshields are removed by pushing them inside the car, and installed from the inside. (As I type this, I'm beginning to lose confidence that I have this correct. So if anyone wants to confirm or correct...please do.)

Keep us updated and post pictures when you can.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi GTHEMI62...... I am wondering about your dash, are the pulls on the dash like the one pictured below? I am looking for the headlight pull. If they are the same, how much are you asking for the dash? Also, are you selling the window regulators? Do you have a radio to sell? Thanks, John
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    1950 COMMANDER 4 DR SEDAN

Studebaker slogan.......

"ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU PROMISE"

Comment

How much for the horns? Mine are goners.

Mark

Comment

John,
                        The pulls are different. Plan on keeping window regulators, as I am not going to put power windows in this one. Did not have a radio when I bought it, although it does have an antenna? If I can fit my 63 GT Hawk dash into the champion, I will sell the dash that came out as a complete unit. The gauges all work except the fuel, but I think that was the sending unit. I have photos of the dash if you are interested, but haven't figured out how to post on the forum site. It is in good condition, but needs to be repainted. Can e-mail if you want to get me your e-mail. 404-202-0920

Comment

Mark,
                          Will test them to be sure they work and get back to you.

Comment

Chuck Collins, (Studebaker Parts) in Phoenix has the rear windows for sale. Contact him at 602-995-5311.
                            Originally posted by GTHEMI62 View Post
                            Do you have a price on the rear glass set?
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                              Chuck Collins, (Studebaker Parts) in Phoenix has the rear windows for sale. Contact him at 602-995-5311.
                              Thanks for the information. I will contact.

Comment

Working...
                              X