Taxi seats in Champ pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxi seats in Champ pickups?

My wife and I are installing 3-point seat belts in Stuey, our 64 Champ. To access the B-pillars better, we pulled the bench seat out today and found this tag on the back. In case you can't read all of it, it says TAXI, then what appears to be "C 1359621 REL" or "RE1".
    Did Studebaker install taxi seats in Champs? Just curious!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuey taxi seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1748506
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Makes sense that the heavy duty seat used in a taxi could also be used in a truck. The bench seat for the truck is the same exact seat from the four door sedan. Such a small company as Studebaker, could see extra front taxi cab seats being sent to the truck plant to be installed in outgoing trucks.

Comment

Does it have a rear Panel on it? Truck seats would not have a rear Vinyl Trim Panel.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Does it have a rear Panel on it? Truck seats would not have a rear Vinyl Trim Panel.
        Rich, no, the back is open. The seat has been recovered once by a PO (the original vinyl was covered over), but the frame is original to the best of my knowledge.
        Mike Davis

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
          Makes sense that the heavy duty seat used in a taxi could also be used in a truck. The bench seat for the truck is the same exact seat from the four door sedan. Such a small company as Studebaker, could see extra front taxi cab seats being sent to the truck plant to be installed in outgoing trucks.
          I agree fully with that.

Especially so where taxicabs, like trucks back then were very 'utility', with no decorations, logos, etc., embossed in the seat material. And considering the cab from the B-pillar forward was derived from the car upon which it was based. it would make perfect sense.

Craig

Comment

I have the seat out of my '62 Champ and it also has the taxi tag. Never noticed that before. The frame for the ashtray is there too and the no back panel installed.

Comment

Ya see, you learn something new every day. I know I did.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

my old 62' came with a taxi seat and ash tray brace....it also had 56-58' 4WD rear cylinders/brakes for late model year inventory dump...

Comment

The plot thickens! I found this tag on the BOTTOM of the seat:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuey truck seat tag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1700187
                  The back of the seat has a TAXI tag and an ash tray bracket, but no back panel.
                  The bottom of the seat has a TRUCK tag.
                  Go figure!
                  Mike Davis

Comment

My '62 has both tags too.

Comment

Working...
                    X